Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Hatch
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start my 1991 Honda civic it starts but it shuts off right away I have to give it gas to keep it running till its warm then it stays running... My iacv hoses stay cold when car is fully warm.I replaced the water pump so Iam not sure what can be causing the problem? Please help ?oh and no engine light is on

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
when you replaced the water pump did you bleed the system??

·
Registered
91 Hatch
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I did ...the hoses on the iacv stays really cold like there is no fluid running threw them? I really wanna find the problem

·
Registered
civic
63 Posts
Is the IACV hooked up to the right hoses? Maybe mixed up with a vacume line?

Is it blowing white smoke? thatll tell you if you ran one of its coolant lines into the intake, lmao.

·
Registered
91 Hatch
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no car does not smoke at all?what exactly does the fluild in the iacv do to the valve????

·
Registered
civic
63 Posts
LMAO, me to Danz. I think it keeps the iacv cool? Its a little 12v motor inside it that regulates the airflow some how. Idk just a guess. I just ran past a skematic of it a lil bit ago.

·
Registered
98 honda civic LX
1,765 Posts
no car does not smoke at all?what exactly does the fluild in the iacv do to the valve????
idle air control valve. it helps regulate the air coming into the t/b helps the car idle on cold days, which yours aint working. i say replace it.

the fluid running through it tells it to open up or stay closed depending on tempature of the engine

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
the fluid running through it tells it to open up or stay closed depending on tempature of the engine

wrong.

the coolant is there to keep the IACV from freezing in low temp situations, and i suppose, to cool it if some how it gets REALLY hot.

i have not run coolant through the IACV on my drag car since i fired it the first time and it idles like a champ.

same goes for project lowball.

we dont live in a very cold climate so we could probably get by year round without coolant running through the IACV.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts