Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I just got done deleting the coolant line to the TB and iacv,
Where I live it gets 110 in the summer and sometimes 0-20 in the winter.
Will I have problems with it sticking in the winter and messing w/ the idle?

Set up:
D16y8
Vitaras
T25 turbo (water cooled )

The reason I did this was to drop my intake temps due to the heat.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Hey I just got done deleting the coolant line to the TB and iacv,
Where I live it gets 110 in the summer and sometimes 0-20 in the winter.
Will I have problems with it sticking in the winter and messing w/ the idle?

Set up:
D16y8
Vitaras
T25 turbo (water cooled )

The reason I did this was to drop my intake temps due to the heat.
The IACV coolant lines are for that reason, in the cold temperature to prevent any moisture freezing and causing idling problems. The IACV coolant lines don't affect the IAT as much as the TB/Fast Idle ones do. I would just leave them, or put them back on in the winter.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks
The reason i deleted them was my iacv was getting too hot after long drives on the highway and I was having problems w/ it catching idel after that, but now after driving a couple of days the problem seems to be fixed!

Guess i will endup hookem up this winter

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
you dont have to delete it. you can just disable it in your ems.
he use the wrong words. He might remove coolant lines from it.

And yea I believe it is ok for the summer but when winter hits your have cold start problems.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
why? they do NOT effect IAT temps hugely at all.

I cant recall anyone ever posting an improvement in USEABLE power while deleting throttle/intake related coolant lines

you would get better use out of a properly cleaned coolant system, working thermostat and working radiator cap.

shroud your front bumper opening to the radiator for better cooling

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

I cant recall anyone ever posting an improvement in USEABLE power while deleting throttle/intake related coolant lines

you would get better use out of a properly cleaned coolant system, working thermostat and working radiator cap.

I've seen improvements with high coolant temperatures affecting the IAT. It wasn't much maybe 5-15 degrees (with the TB lines disconnected), but doesn't make a huge difference. The coolants lines don't affect the IACV at all, they can be there or not it just comes into play in the winter. On OBD0 TB (no Fast idle on it), the lines go through the throttle body on the bottom and right back out. Honda did this to raise IAT for better fuel efficiency and lower emissions, but it's mostly for the colder months. I've had those hoses break on me before, so I either replace them with new OEM ones or just delete them.

I agree a good working coolant system shouldn't have any problems even in high heat and that might be the OP problem to begin with.

·
Registered
63 Posts

I have seen gains of upto 6HP after deleting the water lines.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I have seen gains of upto 6HP after deleting the water lines.
Ive pretended to notice 6hp before also.

I also know that I enjoy a good idling car that can adjust to different temperatures

I also know honda did it to keep the intake warm which is PARTIALLY designed to help fuel mixture, in addition to cold weather running.

It also helps maintain consistent temps so your ecu is not fluctuating a bunch trying to figure out the proper fuel mix and timing to use.

·
Registered
63 Posts

I also know that I enjoy a good idling car that can adjust to different temperatures

I also know honda did it to keep the intake warm which is PARTIALLY designed to help fuel mixture, in addition to cold weather running.

It also helps maintain consistent temps so your ecu is not fluctuating a bunch trying to figure out the proper fuel mix and timing to use.
your ECU doesnt know about this as the TB is past the sensor. Also there is a dyno from it somewhere on HT. I have seen it before. I live in florida and the temps dont really change, also when you are boosted, cooler = better.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
the IACV and tb might ice up if you are driving around in 0f temps

or even worse, right around freezing when its moist out. you mite ice up and the throttle might stick

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

Yep, just like I said honda wanted consistent warm air or else why would they put it there? I don't see 6hp coming from it, I've seen results on autox and road course cars that have heat soaking problems, that's it.

the IACV and tb might ice up if you are driving around in 0f temps

or even worse, right around freezing when its moist out. you mite ice up and the throttle might stick
I've experienced this first hand, and it's a pain to go out to your car and it has trouble idling. I've had it happen even at 40 degrees F (4 degrees C for everyone else :D )

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Just put a small ball valve inline and just shut it off in the summer that way in the winter all you need to do is turn it back on.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
your ECU doesnt know about this as the TB is past the sensor. Also there is a dyno from it somewhere on HT. I have seen it before. I live in florida and the temps dont really change, also when you are boosted, cooler = better.
only 96-00 civics have the IAT on the intake. older put it on the intake manifold.

Guess what? BOTH will respond the same to a warmer intake manifold. BOTH will respond the same eventually to warmer air inhaled.

ONE is simply slower to react to air intake temp differences. that is IT. simply slower.

honda did not go retarded. simply updated their shit like any car manufacturer in the world does

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
only 96-00 civics have the IAT on the intake. older put it on the intake manifold.

Guess what? BOTH will respond the same to a warmer intake manifold. BOTH will respond the same eventually to warmer air inhaled.

ONE is simply slower to react to air intake temp differences. that is IT. simply slower.

honda did not go retarded. simply updated their shit like any car manufacturer in the world does
Its not truly slower to react. They move the sensor from the manifold to intake tube, because of heatsoak.
The manifold one would read highet temps because it pick up on the heat from the manifold.
Moving it change that so it reads more of intake air temp, then manifold temp.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts