Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I pulled it out and fixed it. Having a lift and air tools at my disposal made it a pretty easy job. Took about 3.5hrs start to finish. Anyway....

The first pic is of the front mainshaft bearing.

notice all the balls are bunched up to one side. This was the source of the growling. I had to go through the case and remove pieces of plastic from that bearing.

I don't have a pic of me removing the bearing, but I just used a slide hammer with a hook on it.

That is the pic of the new bearing. Notice the plastic piece separating the balls inside the bearing.

That's just a random pic of my gear set lol.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
96' Accord Wagon
5,973 Posts
how much are those bearings

·
Registered
my civic
918 Posts
when i took my transmmission case off of my old one just to look at the damage, all of those ball bearings fell out everywhere....there was a sludge of shredded metal everywhere and random gear tooths lying around and metal shavings in every crevice...

·
Registered
509 Posts
very common problem with the trannys. i have personally replaced at least 15 sets of mainshaft bearings in just the last 5 years or so. everyone that is hard on thier car will need it done eventually. stripping the shafts down is a little more tedius. LOTS of parts , lol. tearing the countershaft gearsets down can be even more of a pain. sometimes they slide right off not too bad. sometimes you need heat and/or a press.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts