Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ya i was all most finished.. when i was tightening down the timing belt i strip out the hole...

Oh great. :rofc: is there away to to fix this?

Im taking it apart again

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
heli-coil are trash the only thread repair peice i would ever use is a time-cert they are one solid parts macined to proper demensions unlike heli-coil which is nothing but a fancy spring that is used to imitate threads
i dunno i got a helicoil in my cylinder head for the dizzy and its great. never had a problem.

FWIW, torque the tensioner bolt to 35ft lb :p

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
Helicoil is fine if you follow their instructions and take a bit of care.

I had a boat with a SBC that had been hydraulic locked and needed a new head gasket and had rusted bolts due to years of operation with salt water cooling. On a SBC the head bolts go through the deck into the water jacket.

It needed 17 Helicoil in the decks. I inserted them, making sure they were straight and driven in far enough and the tags snapped as specified. I also checked the Helicoils were not screwing in so far they hung out the bottom. I needed short series Helicoils for that repair. I reinstalled the new gaskets. He hydraulic locked it again not that long after I fixed it. It blew a gasket but the helicoils held. The current gasket has been there 8 years no problem, so long as the driver remembers that he has water in his exhaust and he should not start without drying it out again if he stops to suddenly and stalls it.

With Helicoil, you need to drill square and true, you need to tap square and true, you need to screw them in until they are one turn below the surface, then you need to cleanly break the tab, just like the instructions say. If you do so, no problems, if you don't, I guess you can blame the tools or product.

A Helicoil will fit where a full insert will not, and it leaves more original metal between the bore and the bolt hole to support the bolt without excessive bore distortion. It also leaves more room for the gasket to seal.

I have also used them on a Honda B20Z where the supplier of the engine had picked up the engine by the timing belt end engine mount with the bolts loose and only half in. I repaired all three threads with Helicoils and replaced the bent bolts. I used the long series Helicoils (about 12 threads I think) The bolts lined up and held torque and the engine is in my 1989 Teg daily driver. No problems.

Transzex.

How do you suggest to remove the head without removing the belt.

How do you suggest removing the belt without backing off the tensioner.

How do you suggest re tensioning the belt when it is reinstalled without adjusting the tensioner.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts