1992 Honda Civic Si
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to turbo my d16z6 i want to know
whats the best turbo for my motor
how much hp will my block handle
what will my head hold up to
and any other helpful hints i found a t3t4 kit on ebay for $820.00 shipped
from xs-power not sure if its good or not what should i do?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Read this for the cheapy turbo stuff: http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=56167

And, search will be your friend - it's not hard, I promise.Stock block can handle 200-220 on a great tune. HTH

·
Registered
52 Posts
that depends on what you want. (quick spool, boost till redline, drag car, track car....etc.)

stock d16 blocks can see 220-250 whp safely on a GOOD TUNE. anything past 220whp on a stock block requires GREAT tuning.

a stock z6 head has seen 400+whp.

from xs-power not sure if its good or not what should i do
those kits are cheap, and you really do "get what you pay for".

for reliability and performance, a custom kit would be better suited to your needs. it may cost a little more, but in the end you WILL be happier.:)

and i cant stress enough that your setup will only be as good as your tuning method. so intend to put the most focus on what you will be tuning with.:TU:

good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

·
Registered
92 eg cx
89 Posts
I have a question, I have a d16z6 with approx 100k on it and am thinking of boosting it. How reliable would a stock block be as a dd and longevity. Also, aside from the links posted is there any other good links for boosting a d16z6?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a question, I have a d16z6 with approx 100k on it and am thinking of boosting it. How reliable would a stock block be as a dd and longevity. Also, aside from the links posted is there any other good links for boosting a d16z6?
I was just about to post a new thread on the same thing!!! I have a D16Z6 that has about 230k miles on it. I know that is very high, but don't forget... it's A :honda: HONDA :honda:!!! :)

I hear that Eagle Rods should be the first step in rebuilding the motor before goin with a small turbo such as a T25. My goal for my D16Z6 is b/w 175 to 200 whp. All right, what are the steps I need to take to get to my goal. See my signature for more details.

·
Registered
see above
4,258 Posts
eltrigo, for your power goals i dont see a reason for eagle rods. the only thing that is gonna stop you from boosting is the condition of that motor, head gasket water pump seals rings. leak down and compression test that motor to see if its still good. do prevenative maintenance and you should be good to go. the z6 will hold up to 250 on a good tune.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Read XS-power,aka stone racing,aka ssautochrome's feedback and you know right away what your getting I wouldn't advise his kits I've been there with him as have many others on here.Check the SSAC post at the top of this forum for more details.Go Greddy,turbonetics,or edelbrock all worth every penny but pricey.

·
Registered
113 Posts
230000miles is a lot to be throwing a turbo on but I've seen people with higher mileage do it without a rebuild.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
I have 196,000 on mine with good power. I've been boosted since 100,000 miles or so. It dynoed at 195 at 8.5 psi spiking to 9. Still running strong, I'm building it now so I can run more boost, but it would be fine to continue like it is

·
Registered
22 Posts
So... I hear that some peep think I need to get some Eagle Rods (CRS5394H3D) and others are saying no. I would think that if my goal is 200 whp, then the new connecting rods would be necessary so that I don't break anything causing greater damage down the future. I also hear I should get ARP Head Studs and SRP pistons (149204). What do you guys think?

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you are not shooting for more than 250.......

People are telling you not to change internals if your goal is less than 250hp. the z6 can take an ass whoopin and keep on whoopin. 200hp is right up the Z6 alley, at least that is what I have gleaned from the 6million threads I have studied on this subject.
save the money for something else you need on the car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
People are telling you not to change internals if your goal is less than 250hp. the z6 can take an ass whoopin and keep on whoopin. 200hp is right up the Z6 alley, at least that is what I have gleaned from the 6million threads I have studied on this subject.
save the money for something else you need on the car.
Well... my minimum goal is only 200 whp! So if you don't think I actually need to get new pistons, head studs, and connecting rods, then what do you recommend? I rather be safe then sorry. I can always swap the nice parts (e.g. Eagle rods and SRP pistons) into another Z6. I rather make sure my Z6 is prepared for a 200 whp with boost.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You sound as if 200hp is not going to be enough......

If you might not be satisfied with 200, youo should probably do the internals now.

It is hard to control......this desire for MORE!!!!!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts