Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im an n/a guy but i have a lot of these parts and want to do this for a true daily driver, let me know what you think. im by no means a turbo know it all :)

d15b2 block
d15b2 crank
d15z1 rods (vx)
d15z1 pistons (vx)
d15z1 head (vx)
d15b2 headgasket
compression = 8.9:1

essentially a vx for gas mileage just a tad lower comp

i need a tiny ass turbo to run on it
7lbs or so of boost that will spool on this set up

options so far:

i found a 12T td04 mitsubishi/volvo housing for cheap i could rebuild or
a .48 trim t3/t4 godspeed brand new that a friend offered me.
ive done a ton of reading today and searched around just want to see what you turbo gurus would use on such a small engine...suggest another if these are inadequate.

many thanks ahead of time!:bigok:

·
Registered
334 Posts
with turbos these are the things you gotta plan for ahead of time then base off that what turbo will be best for the job.

this is in no specific order

what hp your aiming for
where you want your power band ( meaning quick spool = low end power or slow spool = top end power )
what turbo you want to run
what psi it will take to hit your goals on your turbo

its a complicated process and you cant base what you want for psi before you pick a turbo. psi is pretty much just a number and it only means something when you have a turbo to associate with it.

GL with w.e you pic and hope this advice helps you out a lil bit

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very helpful.
thats a good point about selecting turbo before psi.
you can tell im an n/a guy prob.

but generally it would be cool to hit:

daily driver 120-140hp or so on the vx would be sweet
id prefer to make power in the lower rpms so prob a faster spool.

i basically just want to promote AWESOME mpg with it and
need a turbo that wont kill the nice gas sipping characteristics of the vx.

·
Registered
334 Posts
very helpful.
thats a good point about selecting turbo before psi.
you can tell im an n/a guy prob.

but generally it would be cool to hit:

daily driver 120-140hp or so on the vx would be sweet
id prefer to make power in the lower rpms so prob a faster spool.

i basically just want to promote AWESOME mpg with it and
need a turbo that wont kill the nice gas sipping characteristics of the vx.
in that case i would think a ko3 or ko4 off a vw/audi would be what your looking for idk exactly what a turbo is gonna do to your mpg's tho.
there is someone on here that put one on their car i forget his name tho i was gonna go with that turbo but then realized it wasnt what i was looking for. they are easy to come across and on most 1.8t's you'll have to do some research to find out exactly what they come on

·
Registered
334 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i actually just read that thread haha
the ko3 will make more than enough power for me
just looking into what other options i have available as well

·
Registered
192 Posts
in that case i would think a ko3 or ko4 off a vw/audi would be what your looking for idk exactly what a turbo is gonna do to your mpg's tho.
there is someone on here that put one on their car i forget his name tho i was gonna go with that turbo but then realized it wasnt what i was looking for. they are easy to come across and on most 1.8t's you'll have to do some research to find out exactly what they come on
This.

I love my 1.8t. quick spool and make good power for a daily. Go with the ko4 over the ko3 though. little bigger but similar spool time. And if you get a ko3 turbo only get a ko3s or sport. The first gen ones made much less power.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
a smaller snail is better if you want milage. theres a thread on here somewhere where a guy was getting somethinglike 60 mpg. its all about a lean tune and have a very small turbo to fight pumping losses at low rpm

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a smaller snail is better if you want milage. theres a thread on here somewhere where a guy was getting somethinglike 60 mpg. its all about a lean tune and have a very small turbo to fight pumping losses at low rpm
yeah this is basically what id like to achieve and i do have a good tuner at my disposal so a vx boosted on one of these should get nasty gas mileage and be fun to drive.

so far im liking the ko3. what flange is the ko3 and ko4? i think i missed that so far in my search

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
godspeed is one step above generic ebay.....godspeed does have qc...just not that of some of the larger companies.

anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong but for a mpg monster you want a somewhat larger turbo on really low boost as opposed to a small turbo on more boost....im not talking a huge turbo but def. bigger than a k03/k04

check out rrussells build he was getting some serious mpg's just about 70mpg iirc, and he was making quite a bit of power as well....

if you want to do this know that you will be either learning how to tune or paying out the ass for tuning....tuning a mpg beast takes alot longer than your usual wot(wide open throtle) tuning and smoothing out the rest......

i have always wanted to do a crx mpg monster....who knows .... someday

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
The smaller the better. it gives you extra air down in the lower rpms to help atomize the fuel. and for 140 hp he really doesnt need anything big. The turbo you had on your first build would of be perfect for him.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
THe VW/Audi turbos would probably be Ideal. I used to be a service writer for Audi/VW and had few customers replace turbos and i got to hold one....It literally was about as big around as a 24oz monster can or less lol
Hell, you could probably get away with a 16G or something similar as well off of a DSM.
Get good at reading compressor maps!

The key to you MPG with a turbo is going to be keeping your foot off the gas and out of boost, and a very LEAN tune when not under load.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Why not just use a Z1 block? IIRC, the Z1 cranks a little lighter(I can't confirm this, yet, but I remember someone stating that) Also, they have aluminum alternator and A/C mount(if you need that).

·
McLOVIN
800 Posts
Username rrussel used a bigger turbo and large psi, made 400 or so whpin a delsol and upper 60s mpg wise. For gas mileage you want a laggier turbo so you can have high afrs. Search rrussell, he goes way in depth and knows what hes talking about.

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
It makes me so happy to come in this thread and see so many people saying that a small turbo is better for economy. This is such a great forum.

Till this day so many people will sit there and say that a bigger turbo is better for economy because it wont spool and you pull more vacuum... theyre still living the the 1970s apparently...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts