Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm apologizing in advance..lol ive dont alot of research and i hate asking these questions over and over but so many people have so many opinions on turbos with vitara set ups i just dont know what to choose.There are so many! i have never boosted a car before but ive worked on alot..(im an ase technician) All im looking for is the correct turbo to use for my set up

So, here we go
I have a d16z6 vitaras, eagles, block is decked .030 and head .006
Y8 2 layer
so im running 8.2:1
Slight port and polish on the head
Now, im thinking about the Garrett t3/t4 57 trim with .63 a/r with cast manifold from Go-autoworks with 3'' dump 3'' exhaust
im looking for a nice dd with good MPG's cuz im getting like 42 highway now
i want full spool around 4 grand and with around 300- 350 hp

Question is, will this have too much lag in lower rpm with running 8.2:1
if so, what size would u guys recommend

Thanks, Derek

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok awesome.. i was just worried that i wouldnt have any power at low rpm like now. im driving my vitara setup n/a and it sucks..

·
Registered
DOOKIE
604 Posts
with that .63 housing u may have a little lag though......ehhhh youll be fine.....8.2.1 is not incredibly low compared to stock block and head vitara/eagle setups .. in the 7s with compression oowwwww low

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
well you never said what your full boost is gonna be.... to some ppl full boost is 8psi and to other full boost is 40+ psi.....

but ditch that 2 layer and get oem, find a cam to help your engine breathe alil better, also look in a dual ball bearing turbo to help spool time on a larger turbo(just my .02) so you can achive your 350 hp goal, also maybe someone will chime in but i would look into a mini ram or a full ram turbo mani.....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i was considering a bisi 1.2 level cam with bisi valve springs. Also i am hoping to run 18 psi around there maybe a little higher, but that will depend on detenation and knock which at that boost level shouldn't be too bad.

What do u think about running an ebay intercooler and wastegate? i know some guys are happy with there tial replica wastegates.
Im thinking about a 31x11x3 with 2.5 piping? I figure the bigger ones are definatley better for cooling than the 28x7x2.5 but is there a real big difference?

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
http://www.d-series.org/forums/forced-induction/131385-bisimoto-vs-zex-comp-vs-crower-vs-blox-cam-test.html

read that^^^^ should help with a cam selection and to help get you to your goals, also delta 272-2(iirc that is the same as a 2.4 or 3.6 bisi cam)

read this too--> http://www.d-series.org/forums/archived-technical-info-posts/90422-compressor-map-reading-dummies.html find a turbo thats gonna fit your goals

as far as an intercooler goes research and find one to fit your app, because you can get to big of an intercooler... a waste gate, ive heard good thing about the knock offs so...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah ive read the article on cams like 4 times already lol i feel like the 2.4 it too much for what i want i heard its more for all race applications

Thanks for the turbo article that should def help me

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
awesome.. i never knew about delta.. would i need springs and retainers with that or can i just get away with springs it is alot cheaper for just springs

·
Registered
Soon to be all black
573 Posts
with that .63 housing u may have a little lag though......ehhhh youll be fine.....8.2.1 is not incredibly low compared to stock block and head vitara/eagle setups .. in the 7s with compression oowwwww low
7's, ouchh. Why ouch? From what I have read, it hinders the bottom end performance, some, but allows for more error in tuning and so forth. I am running this vitara/eagle h combo as well, with a Crower stage 2 turbo cam. Seems well for me, or have I missed something? And compared to other dyno sheets with similar builds, that I have seen, mine seems on par or better than some others. I am not arguing, just curious as to why I keep seeing this low compression no-no.

p.s. sorry for hijacking.

What do u think about running an ebay intercooler and wastegate? i know some guys are happy with there tial replica wastegates.
I have the ebay knock off wastegate, and it seems to work well. But, a better brand will be taking its place down the road, just for easy of mind. But, as stated, I have heard others using them for afew years without fail.

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
awesome.. i never knew about delta.. would i need springs and retainers with that or can i just get away with springs it is alot cheaper for just springs
spring, i would get, retainers thats up to you....

·
Registered
DOOKIE
604 Posts
7's, ouchh. Why ouch? From what I have read, it hinders the bottom end performance, some, but allows for more error in tuning and so forth. I am running this vitara/eagle h combo as well, with a Crower stage 2 turbo cam. Seems well for me, or have I missed something? And compared to other dyno sheets with similar builds, that I have seen, mine seems on par or better than some others. I am not arguing, just curious as to why I keep seeing this low compression no-no.

p.s. sorry for hijacking.

I have the ebay knock off wastegate, and it seems to work well. But, a better brand will be taking its place down the road, just for easy of mind. But, as stated, I have heard others using them for afew years without fail.
Not saying low compression is a no-no, hell for the money vitara/eagle setup seem the way to go being that its available all the time simply. No waiting for backorder rods n ish. Now all im saying is why not bring that compression where its at stock if not more. I know with compression that low, youd lose some what 15%? 20% of power compared to stock compression, in context u can run more boost to make up for it , or in your case source more power additives from things like a cam. Again im not disagreeing on low comp setup. Diff strokes for diff folks. I like the d16 stroke :)

·
Registered
Soon to be all black
573 Posts
Not saying low compression is a no-no, hell for the money vitara/eagle setup seem the way to go being that its available all the time simply. No waiting for backorder rods n ish. Now all im saying is why not bring that compression where its at stock if not more. I know with compression that low, youd lose some what 15%? 20% of power compared to stock compression, in context u can run more boost to make up for it , or in your case source more power additives from things like a cam. Again im not disagreeing on low comp setup. Diff strokes for diff folks. I like the d16 stroke :)
Ok, I got ya. Thanks for that info man. 'Preciate it!

·
Well.......
2,488 Posts
if only vitaras had the cc as stock pistons, there has been plenty of people that has had success with the same setup as you..... low cr=more boost or maybe nitrous on top of boost

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thats why i took my block and had .030 decked off of it i thought it was a smart thing to do it helped a little..like i said before my compression according to zeal calculator is right at 8.2:1 i think it a great place to be.. its 1 full point under stock but its better than being in the 7's..
i dd my set up now without boost i hate it.. but to be honest it dont feel much slower an stock..

but anyway thanks for all the advice.. i read a thread lastnight on stock retainers and how no one besides Dan has ever seen a stock retainer break.. but i think even with springs and a cam i wont rev passed 8000

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
one more thing i wanted to ask.. im looking into getting a catch can from go autoworks>>> GO-AUTOWORKS Catchcan Kits
Its a little pricey for my budget but i really think it will be a good setup for the boost i wanna runand its clean and should look pretty good under the hood lol
but..
100% necessary? or go with one of the cheaper ones with like vacuum or heater hose

1 - 20 of 21 Posts