Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look I know I'm gonna get flamed for beating basically a dead horse but, I have been searching for hours on a y8 head z6 build and so far the only thing I know solid information on is I have to use a y8 head bolt closest to the vtec solenoid. My problem is that every forum says something different about the cam timing. One person said advance the gear 4.5 degrees and another said don't worry about advancing the timing. Then another guy said just use the z6 cam gear and another said use the z6 cam n gear. I am to the point of being frustrated because I NEED to know exactly what the heck I need to do for the timing issue. I ONLY notice the caps in ONLY want people's feedback information about this build ONLY IF YOU HAVE DONE THIS BUILD. I can't take a risk with all the timing gear crap I been hearing and risk blowing up my built z6 bottom and ported and polished head. Please if you have solid knowledge of this build ONLY cold hard solid facts not just "well I heard....." I needs facts so please help me out here.

·
Registered
del Sol si '94
2,539 Posts
Haha Cyanide. Ive been running one for a few years now, used what I laying around. Im running a z6 cam and cam gear, d15b7 dizzy, ign timimng is like 10ish. Shaved 30 thou also. AEM adj cam gear, set to 2 degree adv.

Runs really good. Tuned on S300. Made 145 at the wheels with a basic quicky tune and silencer in the muffler.

Reactions: Wischmaster

·
Registered
94 dx hatch
385 Posts
Think about it.... *waiting for smoke*

If the y8 and the z6 have the same deck height, which they do btw. Then why would you need any other cam gear then stock for the respective head.

If you put a z6 head in any d16 block you use the z6 cam gear. If you put a y8 head on any d16 block you use a y8 cam gear.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Only time you need to worry about retard/advancing cam timing is when you use a 1.5 block with a Y8 head or if you swap a Z6 cam into a Y8 head.

Reactions: Wischmaster

·
Registered
1999 EJ8
1,188 Posts
Only time you need to worry about retard/advancing cam timing is when you use a 1.5 block with a Y8 head or if you swap a Z6 cam into a Y8 head.
x2

Reactions: hotrodj

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So basically no timing has to be advanced or retarded because it is a d16 but if it was a d15 the timing would be affected. So basically just line everything up to too dead center using the original timing marks and through out everything I heard about advancing the cam out the window?

·
Registered
94 dx hatch
385 Posts
So basically no timing has to be advanced or retarded because it is a d16 but if it was a d15 the timing would be affected. So basically just line everything up to too dead center using the original timing marks and through out everything I heard about advancing the cam out the window?
Pretty much

1 - 10 of 10 Posts