Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already get like 41 highway, but is there a way I can run the D15 on 2 cylinders to get even better mileage, and will the engine kill itself if I experiment with unplugging injectors and stuff?

I theorize that if I compression-check the engine and run the 2 cylinders with the highest compression and unhook the injectors and ignition wires on the 2 with the lowest compression, or, say, unhook 2 and 3, leaving 1 and 4 to do the work (torque on both ends of the crank in opposite phase?)

A: will it even move?
and
B: would it theoretically get like 70 mpg? I only drive the thing on the turnpike and I refuse to speed, so it only needs to go 65 mph.

just pondering the thought, what with the sustained 2.45/gallon+ gas, and my meager $140.00 a week paychecks.

thoughts?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, but I just wanna disconnect 2 cylinders indefinitely.

750cc/45-50HP is enough to get the car going down the road, but I really just want to know if it'll work without eating itself in the process.

I need any advantage I can get. gas is expensive, even for a civic driver.

·
Registered
741 Posts
The main issue is that over time cylinder bores will end up different. With the whole GM, and Chrysler thing, is that they have the crazy technology to do a check and balance of what cylinders are getting used the most, and then balancing it out, by not using them. VAFC and wideband, or get a geo with a four speed.
Plus, my issue with your theory with only running the two strongest, is that there still won't be enough power, I think. There will be a drag on the rotation now. Instead of two cylinders working to help balance out the equation, they are now setting the equation towards a deficit. I’m not saying it couldn’t work, but you have some good mileage.

·
Registered
370 Posts
You still have the rotating mass of the other two cylinders to overcome. However that isn't the worst of it.. You are still opening and closing the valves to those cylinders and compressing air. That alone would stall the engine. Cadillac tried to do that back in the eighty's, I think there was some kind of crazy computer controlled solenoids that turned the valves open or something. Put it this way, if the engineers at GM gave up on the idea, do you think you have a chance of making it work? You would be better off putting a HF engine/tranny in your car.

·
Shackle me NOT!!!
1995 Honda Ballade
4,692 Posts
keep it as it is, just keep up the services, nice clean oil, new filters as well as proper tune-ups........................

41mpg is great........

·
Registered
Del sol
1,453 Posts
i belive another site *cough*(sohchonda.com)*cough* was into planning a D-series hybrid if your interested, they had some really good support info to back it up on it being a poject that would be possible to do, you might wanna check it out -but from my research it would be around the same price as a really good DIY turbo kit, spend money to save$ is wat it is and it seems to me unless you kno some one w/ hook ups on this it going to cost some $
i havent been back there in awhile jus for refrace, so i dont know the status of the project so far...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello people. I just got myself a 93 civic VX hatch with a D15Z1 (all stock), and i want to tune it to get better mpg. In my defense... some people like speed. Other like to save money and the environment, and i'm one of them. Luckily, eighter way, our cars are LEV. compared to american v8's. That and i think civics are kick-ass cars.

All i can say to you is there are many kinds of tuners out there that have their own ideas. N/A, turbo, N02, just show, but we are the few that tune for better gas milage and all i can say is research research research. Don't let poeple that talk shit and say "you're a faggot" or "you don't deserve a Honda" break your spirit. It's your car! You're not alone on this one. Any kind of tuning cost money, so don't be afraid to test things out.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,451 Posts
which D15 and what tranny?

B7 will always get the better mileage above 50 mph.

53 mpg @ 65-70 mph.........from a 102 hp stock motor making 145 crank hp.......

+40% hp
+50% mpg highway

all tuning and simple bolton parts :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
what if you just used a HF ecu? would that have lower fuel and spark maps for better fuel mileage? just a thought you could just switch ecus for power or gas mileage.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
AFC could help you out a bit.. I woulnd shit 2 cylinders down though..

·
Registered
54 Posts
transzex said:
which D15 and what tranny?

B7 will always get the better mileage above 50 mph.

53 mpg @ 65-70 mph.........from a 102 hp stock motor making 145 crank hp.......

+40% hp
+50% mpg highway

all tuning and simple bolton parts :)
53mpg? If there was a bowing smiley, I'd use it right about now.

(Makes note to pester transzex about the mods after new engine swap is complete 8) )

All I did for my mileage increases thus far was to change the oil I use and my driving tendencies. But, I'm always looking for new ways to increase my mileage (besides, why am I going to spend 20k or more for a Hybrid - even if it is a Civic?) when I can simply spend about a quarter of that and get about the same mpg (and better 0-60 times to boot).

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,451 Posts
stock Honda maps leave out ALOT of timing in the 2400-4000 rpm range.

WAY to safe......like Blundar of PGMFI.org (who wrote the chip) stated.......

".......tuned by lawyers........"

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
bolt in the HF tranny...REALLLLYYYYYY long gears...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
For better gas mileage, get and adjustable cam gear and advance your cam timing. Tune your car to run between 15-15.5:1 air/fuel ratio (not at wot lol)with the proper ignition map. Change your driving style. Wash-wax your car. Proper pressure in all your tires. CX tranny?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,451 Posts
custom_junky said:
bolt in the HF tranny...REALLLLYYYYYY long gears...
Long gears are not needed, matter of fact the engine needs to rev a bit.

2800-3000 cruising rpm is perfect, when tuned correctly.

This allows the engine to make ample torque so it does bog down at every little hill.

CX tranny in 4th gear is perfect, then you have the 5th if you can catch a 18 wheeler @80 mph and draft off him.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts