Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will have my motor setup ready to go in a month and I am now lookling at tranny options. I've done some researching in the tranny FAQ's and want a killer trans. I'll be using a Y8 trans, and may have a hook for a ZC trans or two...

The setup that Bone mentioned intrigued me, I believe it was:

Y8 1st
Y8 2nd
ZC 3rd
ZC 4th

Now would a HF fifth fit? Or can I use another 5th out of a gas-saver hydro trans?

I want the highest possible final drive I can put in there. Fast88 has that ZXi FD that is pretty hard to find, so what is the next best option?

any help is appreciated.

thanks

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
2,469 Posts
onefasazn said:
I will have my motor setup ready to go in a month and I am now lookling at tranny options. I've done some researching in the tranny FAQ's and want a killer trans. I'll be using a Y8 trans, and may have a hook for a ZC trans or two...

The setup that Bone mentioned intrigued me, I believe it was:

Y8 1st
Y8 2nd
ZC 3rd
ZC 4th

Now would a HF fifth fit? Or can I use another 5th out of a gas-saver hydro trans?

I want the highest possible final drive I can put in there. Fast88 has that ZXi FD that is pretty hard to find, so what is the next best option?

any help is appreciated.

thanks
SRR final drive with the combo you listed might be killer. I have yet to know anyone who can report the difference when installing one of their FD's, however, i can only imagine since the difference between a LS trans and a Type R trans, if the engine stays the same, is night and day.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey wat where are you buing your gears from.i would like to know. cuz i looking to do a tranny to i need a stroung tranny that would hold like 400 hp.. let me know if you find one

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so Zex, should I just use the ZC 3rd & 4th? But with what final drive? and will the .771 5th fit?

·
Registered
302 Posts
SRR sells 4.7 & 4.9 for both hydro and cable transmissions for about 5 bills.
OPM or houseman has 4.73 gears for cable's only for a cool grand.
I sell hybrid tranmissions with the 4.43 in them.

whats the gearing in the toda box?
probably same AS si/ex with a 4.7 or 4.9 FD

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,433 Posts
leave the Si 1-2-5 alone, just swap 3-4.......

Z6 on slicks with that tranny vs. a stock EX = no difference in the 1/4 mile.

BUT oh so fun on the street!

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
transzex said:
BUT oh so fun on the street!
Thats what im looking for!

FAST88 said:
I sell hybrid transmissions with the 4.43 in them.
I can get the ZC tranny, but will the cable gears swap into my Y8 case? If so, I need one built. I have another spare Y8 trans to use, and a ZC for the donor 3-4. I want it with the 4.43 FD as well. fast88 where you located? and how much for the trans setup?

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
but would I be able to run a 3rd gear out of a HF trans in place of 4th in my y8 trans?

so it would be like this:

Y8 - 1st
Y8 - 2nd
ZC - 3rd
HF/DX/STD 4g 3rd - 4th
Y8 - 5th
FD - ? or SRR 4.7

and would the OPM LSD fit my trans?

Thanks again...

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,433 Posts
finding the ZC 3rd by itself is the hard part. There are no more in the JDM parts bins either.

What tranny is the OPM LSD out of??????

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
2,469 Posts
transzex said:
What tranny is the OPM LSD out of??????
let me preface this if have never seen one in use, however, supposedly OPM can convert any sohc diff; it is sorta like a phantom grip, however, they incorporate clutch packs and a spring and block instead of just the spring&block of the PG.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,433 Posts
they also change the weak diff pin for a better one.

I talked with Tom years ago about it. Myself I could not justify the $650 for a OPM when a Kaaz could be had for $750.

Phantom SLIP copied the CRE/OPM design, without the clutch pack. I'll have pics shortly of ruined pinion gear washers from Phantom Slip useage.

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
2,469 Posts
transzex said:
they also change the weak diff pin for a better one.

I talked with Tom years ago about it. Myself I could not justify the $650 for a OPM when a Kaaz could be had for $750.

Phantom SLIP copied the CRE/OPM design, without the clutch pack. I'll have pics shortly of ruined pinion gear washers from Phantom Slip useage.
it's weird tho because i had a PG for 4 years with no issues, however, i am thinking it might have been because i really didn't jump on the car all that much and/or use slicks every weekend.

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
2,469 Posts
transzex said:
what year tranny though..........collecting more info as always........

a z6 then a y8; 2 trannies...

like i said tho, i am one of those people who really baby the damn thing; ive always been like that...so i can imagine that might have something to do with it giving me no trouble.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts