Honda D Series Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Those look nice, but Nittos... meh... they will be ok for now, but expect to need to upgrade when you add power, if they don't blow before then.
Well, I plan to rock the little beast 7 for a while as I build up for this one. I don't really want to dismantle wagon just to make a fast CRX, instead, I think I'd rather build the CRX up purposefully. Haven't figured that purpose out just yet. Probably more towards the race side of things, but I refuse to own a race only vehicle, so it'll have to be road worthy as well. Just means she might be wearing splitters and wings to keep that short wheel base going straight.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Took an hour and a half drive tonight to go look at the Enkei J Sport's I had found on marketplace. They looked decent, he backed off the price a tad bit and I came home with them. But that gap......... Coil overs are needed. I mean, I need seats too, but that gap.............and its not like thigh gap.............its like a gaping wound.......hard to look at, but you can't look away........it grips your soul. hahaha

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Might even have to cheap out and get some max speeding rods coil overs on it just to lower it for now. Those things aren't too harsh. I road and drove Aero with them on it and it was great, especially for a long distance drive. Overall happy with the wheel purchase and was rewarded with this sunset on the way home.

Sky Cloud Atmosphere Daytime Ecoregion

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Went through the timing tonight because it is still idling above 2k. Timing was nearly spot on, then I noticed that it was getting hot and there was a crackle to the exhaust note. Checked the throttle stop screw, it was good, sprayed carb cleaner all over, idle was unaffected. Sitting there racking my brain, look in on temp and its climbing so I shut it off and quit. Come inside sit down, a little disgusted that it started to over heat, and then it dawned on me. I saw a fuel pump laying in the car. Kid said, a teacher at his auto tech school said it could use a fuel pump. I had just supposed that it was all of the janky wiring, no O2 sensor, no MAP sensor, etc. etc. etc. that made it run poorly but then it dawned on me. Everything else in past had been making it run rich in limp mode and then I thought, the only reason you'd want limp mode is if you had a lean condition. And sure enough, we have a lean condition. Fuel pump is either struggling, or the filter is clogged. Either way, fuel pump will be replaced with a Walbro 255lph, new fuel filter, and new fuel pump relay. I like to run a separate relay on these old ones because the circuit is usually so degraded that they don't get the 12vdc that they are supposed to.

Pump ordered, won't be here til next week, so I'll amass the relay and filter in the mean time, then I'll get to work.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Damn. That is in such nice condition. Super curious to see where you go with this one...
Seems a few are trying to convince me to AWD turbo this one. I could just go all in and KAWD turbo swap it, tune it on MaxxECU or something and shoot for the moon lol. I do want it to be drivable.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,262 Posts
There aren't many people I would suggest do the crx awd conversion, most just don't pay enough attention to the details. but when you popped up with this car it just needed suggested, lol. Besides wouldn't 10 ft diameter awd doughnuts be the most awesome thing ever? Bucket list build

·
Registered
EJ8
90 Posts
Seems a few are trying to convince me to AWD turbo this one. I could just go all in and KAWD turbo swap it, tune it on MaxxECU or something and shoot for the moon lol. I do want it to be drivable.
Yep. I think I would have to agree with the AWD idea. Just make sure you... keep the driveability thing in mind, or don't.. and just giver'.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Oh it would still be drivable, I'd just have a mint worth of money into it. Built K, AWD parts, turbo parts, ECU/wiring. It would likely be ripping in the low 10's, high 9's with ease once the chassis was sorted.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So a Pfi Speed build......
Classic Honda.......

That's the name of my shop lol. Except I can't really call it Classic Honda because Honda gets pissy when anybody uses their name lol. So it has to be Classic Automotive NC on the legal end of things, and I'm ok with that. Working on stickers and t shirts right now. Not trying to be Brent and Jamie, but there are some things about their model that I like. The community aspect of it being one of them that I really like. Taking care of each other is one I really like. Building cars that are legit and work well is something I want to do.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI, 95 Civic HB CX
2,238 Posts
Except I can't really call it Classic Honda because Honda gets pissy when anybody uses their name lol. So it has to be Classic Automotive NC on the legal end of things, and I'm ok with that.
They branded the romanized portrayal of their brand, but not the japanese version!

You could run it as a hybrid name, with roman mixed with kanji: Classic 本田 (hon-da)

Or roman mixed with katakana: Classic ホンダ (ho-n-da)

Or katakata to express "classic" pronunciation in japanese, mixed with the proper kanji: クラシック本田 (Classic Honda)

Or all katakana: クラシックホンダ (Classic Honda)

Then on your business naming legalese, you could put: Classic Hon-Da or Classic Ho-N-Da as your romanized business name, which only has to exist for taxation and recordkeeping purposes, then you're free to style your logo, sign and business cards however you want, so long as you dont directly use the word Honda!

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Took a ride in this bad boy around VIR at full send. NASA HPDE 3. That was fun. Makes me have ideas for the Sexy Rexy. Hahahaha. Thoughts?

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle

Not necessarily the B, but the rest

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So yesterday motivated me a bit. I was under the CRX last night, got the part numbers off of the front spindles and left side is an Si/DX spindle/caliper, right side is an Hf Spindle/caliper, and both sides have Hf rotors on them. So yeah. A little confusing. Pondered for a bit and remembered that I had the spindles that came off of Wagon, so rummaged around, found them, and started to work.

First bit of business of the day was to get the radiator fan to operate properly. They had rigged up a wire from the ground on the battery to a fan wire, so if it was on, the fan was one. I took an OBD1 harness, robbed some wire and the connector for the b7 fan switch and went to work. And yes, I tested that joker before completion. IF you're not familiar, the OBD0 cars have a 2 poll sensor on the back of the block near the oil pressure sensor. OBD1 blocks have it on the Thermostat housing and it is a 2 prong connector much like the ECT sensor. So I modded the two to work together without destroying the harness on the car.

Automotive tire Gas Motor vehicle Auto part Electric blue

Simple barrel type crimp on connectors to the harness.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Car

All working properly now. Jumping it like this completes the circuit and the fan comes on with the key on if everything is working properly. At least outside of the fan sensor itself.

Next on to the hard work. So I have mismatched spindles up front and the left side needs a ball joint horribly. Someone apparently lost a wheel at some point and it ground the ball joint nut nearly completely off. So this is prep up to replacing all of that stuff. New axles will likely ensue as well, unless my parts wagon has spares. I think I do. Man, I hope I do to save that $100. Most of this won't transfer to what I'm thinking I'm going to do with it. Anywho, on to the ugly.

Found the spindles in my dads parts trailer, so I brought them home and went to work. Several wheel studs were either missing or broken, so those needed fixing, and the hubs had been pulled to take dust shields long ago. So I proceeded to clean them up, easy out some rotor retaining screws, new studs, and new MOOG ball joints.

Automotive tire Asphalt Gas Road surface Font

Easy out and Freeze Off (if you know what that is), made short work of 3 wrung off rotor retaining screws. Then it was on to replacing the wheel studs.

Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive wheel system Machine

The spindles prior to repair/reassembly.

Wood Religious item Art Metal Fashion accessory

Beat out the old ball joints and pressed in the new. I tried a new tool for removing them, it didn't work at all, but my ball joint press made short work of it.

Saw Automotive tire Crankset Wood Tool

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

New ball joints pressed in and snap rings re-installed. Old ugly ball joint in the distance looking jealous and stuff.

Automotive tire Wood Gear Gas Rim

Automotive tire Crankset Vehicle brake Gear Bicycle fork

And then on to pressing the hubs back in.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim Bumper

I truly do enjoy having the right tools for the job. Makes this stuff so much easier to do. Long gone are the days of trying to rig something up in the vice to get it started and try to draw it in with an old axle. Next, I'll be tracking down rotors and pads for this thing and axles. Then it will all get swapped over at one time and it'll have bigger brakes and axles. Fuel pump should be in the beginning of the week. Then its on to deciding if I cage it before it becomes the daily. That will determine seats. Thinking stock for now, especially if Bones has some old stockers I can buy/borrow for a bit. Then it'll be on to driving it and starting the real build :)

21 - 40 of 59 Posts