Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was sitting at my desk at school on Friday, you know, hard at work perusing FB Marketplace lol. Students were testing, so I was accomplishing something. First thing that comes up is a white CRX for way under market value. So I instantly think its a scam. Except, its in my town, literally 10 minutes away, so I message the guy. Apparently I was the first to message him. He says it needs work, I understand because of the price, I step back to make sure this is a logical choice, and a friends sends me a link to the same car and says, he can have his truck and trailer there at 1pm. I take that as a sign and send a message to arrange the pick up. We get there and its fairly worn, but it isn't used up dish rag worn out, yet. So he leads with, I'll take less than the asking. Now I'm wondering if he just needs the money, so I tell him to come up with a figure that is acceptable, a clear title, and we have a deal. He says he'll take $1k and feel good about that. I know the CRX market right now. ITs stupid. I could sell the car for 4 times that right now. I've been looking for one for over a year. Being shown many a shell, yes I said a no motor, no tranny shell for $5k. So I'd almost given up on getting one, until Friday. I handed him $1k, we jumped it off and I drove it onto the trailer. My buddy hauled her home (he is a fellow CRX owner, which will soon be D powered and turbo HF for him), and I got to work. It has/had a lot wrong with it. A lot!

So here's some pictures, then we will jump into the bad.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

I hate these wheels. She looks like she's 4x4...........should she be? AWD turbo ZC?!?!?!

Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car Wheel

in the bay, fart can and all. You can see the Truhart rear LCA's in that pic. He also included a front set of Truhart LCA's with the purchase.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

89 CRX HF weighs in at 1800 lbs. One of the lightest. Easy to roll around with just one guy lol.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Need a white door shell, that piece of quarter trim, and the JDM fender lights. Also needs both tail lights:

Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Vehicle

And of course has minor quarter rust on both sides. I plan to buy the Mill Supply patch panels this week. I figure thats the easiest way to fix the rust. Weld in patch panels and do it right.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Didn't come with seats, so I also need seats. And it has a d15b7 in it which needed and still needs a lot of help.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Hood Automotive air manifold

Car Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Now on to the initial repairs:

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First off, it didn't have any brakes. He had installed new rear wheel cylinders and it didn't have anything. My dad came over and we bled the brakes and got a bit of a pedal. Need to do it again, or maybe even replace the Master cylinder. We had a pedal Saturday after noon, but when I drove it Sunday evening it was again squishy and didn't want to stop very well. Had to pump it about 6-8 times to feel like I was getting any braking action. Thinking a Master cylinder, maybe a brake booster while I'm at it, and another bleed will solve that. The booster does look pretty crusty and it looks like the Master has leaked down the booster at some point from all the paint peeled on it.

Next I moved to under the hood. Started with the MAP sensor. It is a d15b7, so it has a MAP on the throttle body, however the firewall MAP was still connected (which is no big deal), except the vacuum line from the MAP was connected to nothing. So I extended the wires for the MAP sensor and ran the plug over to the throttle body mounted MAP. Next I looked down at the oxygen sensor, and found that it was broken off of the exhaust manifold. Nothing connected. So I had an old Kamikaze style header with a one wire sensor still on it (that won't come off), so I pulled the exhaust manifold and threw the header on it and hooked up the O2 sensor. Next I turned my attention to the injector harness. Apparently someone had twisted the wires together then threw on some electrical tape so that they could use the OBD1 injectors and injector plugs from the B7. Pulled that all apart, soldered the wires properly and then heat shrink wrapped those joints. Next I looked over, and sure enough, the resistor box was still hooked up. OBD1 injectors and a resistor box are a recipe for frying the injector drivers in your ECU. So I did then delete on that and connected all those wires together. Also adjusted the clutch in there somewhere as well. After trickle charging the battery, I decided it was time to crank it up, but before I did that I decided to see which ECU was in it. Sure enough, it had a PM8 HF ecu in it, so I swapped that out with a PM6 I had on the shelf. So after all of that, I cranked it up and it idled to the moon. Probably 2500-3000 (no tach on the HF). Took the CAI off of it, put my finger over the FITV port in the throttle body and the idle came down to normal, so that let me know the wax pill in the Fast Idle Throttle Valve under the throttle body was out of adjustment. I took it apart, adjusted the FITV, fired it back up and decided to go for a ride. Idle was much better, brakes were squishy, headlights worked (lol), and up the street I went. However, it kind of feels like you're taking off in 2nd when you're in first and it won't rev out, so I'm thinking either the spark plugs are just fouled out to death because of all the fuel that was dumping because of the no MAP, no O2 sensor, and resistor box with obd1 injectors....... So today/tomorrow night, I'll pull the spark plugs and check them, and also check to make sure the timing belt is right. She's been a bit of a basket case, but it's been an adventure so far finding all of the things that need fixing. I'll post more pics as I go. The person that swapped it, loved washers. There are washers everywhere. Like......every.......where. Nonsensically so.

Thoughts?

Should I just daily it once I get it sorted.

Should I build an engine for it and slap a turbski on it?

Should I do the above and AWD it?

Hmm... AWD ZC turbo....... that would be fun, but pricey. Very pricey.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
D17 swap because you’re a fucking lunatic
Hell even I'm not that crazy hahahahahaha

b16 turbo it......yes, I know what I said :(

with a crv awd conversion :*
Are we talking a long rod B16b? I'm listening................

Parts donations are welcome. And you're in Florida, want to meet up at S1built to check him out?

Are D16ZCs easy to get hold of where you are? I had to go with a Z6 to replace the ZC in the Integra.
They are getting harder to find in the US, but occasionally they come up. And you can still get them imported now and again, they are just getting expensive.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
not the bolts for the rear bolts for the fronts seat will pull out of the chassis. I have a pass. seat for it from my 89 HF, not sure if I still have the drivers seat. I need to check out my storage unit of what I have, the one with Fowee's bike in it! Many other parts as well, you might have to visit my old CRX for parts, it is why I gave it to Fowee.
I will be passing through Cincy in June on the way to North Dakota of all places. Riding shotgun with a buddy going back to his homestead from NC lol.

If you decide to go ZC AWD lmk, I know a guy with the full setup, but it's here in Ga

By full set up, what do you mean? Like all of the AWD stuff or all of the ZC stuff? I have friends in Georgia lol. What part? And then we'd need to talk price if it is for the AWD stuff. Wagon or CRV?

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a local junkyard with a z6, but that's probably going to be mine, lol.
I can message him, I'd be surprised if he didn't.
largo isnt that far away ;)
He does give a veteran discount so............

Crap.....

I'll need to read up on the work around for the CRX fuel tank. No hump in it, so pretty sure you have to go fuel cell or custom tank.

• Haha
Reactions: slo_eg8

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Needing to change out the wheel and tire combo as well. The 17's have to go. makes it look like a 4x4 and not in the AWD sense. So I was looking on Marketplace and found a set of these. Thoughts?

Enkei J-SPEED Black Wheel: 15x7 38mm Offset 4x100

I thought about just putting it on 14" steel wheels for a while, but I don't hate these and they have new tires on them.

The set I found has a brand new set of Nitto Neo Gen tires on them. So I'd like opinions on those as well if you have them. Thanks

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Those look nice, but Nittos... meh... they will be ok for now, but expect to need to upgrade when you add power, if they don't blow before then.
Well, I plan to rock the little beast 7 for a while as I build up for this one. I don't really want to dismantle wagon just to make a fast CRX, instead, I think I'd rather build the CRX up purposefully. Haven't figured that purpose out just yet. Probably more towards the race side of things, but I refuse to own a race only vehicle, so it'll have to be road worthy as well. Just means she might be wearing splitters and wings to keep that short wheel base going straight.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Took an hour and a half drive tonight to go look at the Enkei J Sport's I had found on marketplace. They looked decent, he backed off the price a tad bit and I came home with them. But that gap......... Coil overs are needed. I mean, I need seats too, but that gap.............and its not like thigh gap.............its like a gaping wound.......hard to look at, but you can't look away........it grips your soul. hahaha

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Might even have to cheap out and get some max speeding rods coil overs on it just to lower it for now. Those things aren't too harsh. I road and drove Aero with them on it and it was great, especially for a long distance drive. Overall happy with the wheel purchase and was rewarded with this sunset on the way home.

Sky Cloud Atmosphere Daytime Ecoregion

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Went through the timing tonight because it is still idling above 2k. Timing was nearly spot on, then I noticed that it was getting hot and there was a crackle to the exhaust note. Checked the throttle stop screw, it was good, sprayed carb cleaner all over, idle was unaffected. Sitting there racking my brain, look in on temp and its climbing so I shut it off and quit. Come inside sit down, a little disgusted that it started to over heat, and then it dawned on me. I saw a fuel pump laying in the car. Kid said, a teacher at his auto tech school said it could use a fuel pump. I had just supposed that it was all of the janky wiring, no O2 sensor, no MAP sensor, etc. etc. etc. that made it run poorly but then it dawned on me. Everything else in past had been making it run rich in limp mode and then I thought, the only reason you'd want limp mode is if you had a lean condition. And sure enough, we have a lean condition. Fuel pump is either struggling, or the filter is clogged. Either way, fuel pump will be replaced with a Walbro 255lph, new fuel filter, and new fuel pump relay. I like to run a separate relay on these old ones because the circuit is usually so degraded that they don't get the 12vdc that they are supposed to.

Pump ordered, won't be here til next week, so I'll amass the relay and filter in the mean time, then I'll get to work.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Damn. That is in such nice condition. Super curious to see where you go with this one...
Seems a few are trying to convince me to AWD turbo this one. I could just go all in and KAWD turbo swap it, tune it on MaxxECU or something and shoot for the moon lol. I do want it to be drivable.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Oh it would still be drivable, I'd just have a mint worth of money into it. Built K, AWD parts, turbo parts, ECU/wiring. It would likely be ripping in the low 10's, high 9's with ease once the chassis was sorted.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So a Pfi Speed build......
Classic Honda.......

That's the name of my shop lol. Except I can't really call it Classic Honda because Honda gets pissy when anybody uses their name lol. So it has to be Classic Automotive NC on the legal end of things, and I'm ok with that. Working on stickers and t shirts right now. Not trying to be Brent and Jamie, but there are some things about their model that I like. The community aspect of it being one of them that I really like. Taking care of each other is one I really like. Building cars that are legit and work well is something I want to do.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Took a ride in this bad boy around VIR at full send. NASA HPDE 3. That was fun. Makes me have ideas for the Sexy Rexy. Hahahaha. Thoughts?

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle

Not necessarily the B, but the rest

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So yesterday motivated me a bit. I was under the CRX last night, got the part numbers off of the front spindles and left side is an Si/DX spindle/caliper, right side is an Hf Spindle/caliper, and both sides have Hf rotors on them. So yeah. A little confusing. Pondered for a bit and remembered that I had the spindles that came off of Wagon, so rummaged around, found them, and started to work.

First bit of business of the day was to get the radiator fan to operate properly. They had rigged up a wire from the ground on the battery to a fan wire, so if it was on, the fan was one. I took an OBD1 harness, robbed some wire and the connector for the b7 fan switch and went to work. And yes, I tested that joker before completion. IF you're not familiar, the OBD0 cars have a 2 poll sensor on the back of the block near the oil pressure sensor. OBD1 blocks have it on the Thermostat housing and it is a 2 prong connector much like the ECT sensor. So I modded the two to work together without destroying the harness on the car.

Automotive tire Gas Motor vehicle Auto part Electric blue

Simple barrel type crimp on connectors to the harness.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Car

All working properly now. Jumping it like this completes the circuit and the fan comes on with the key on if everything is working properly. At least outside of the fan sensor itself.

Next on to the hard work. So I have mismatched spindles up front and the left side needs a ball joint horribly. Someone apparently lost a wheel at some point and it ground the ball joint nut nearly completely off. So this is prep up to replacing all of that stuff. New axles will likely ensue as well, unless my parts wagon has spares. I think I do. Man, I hope I do to save that $100. Most of this won't transfer to what I'm thinking I'm going to do with it. Anywho, on to the ugly.

Found the spindles in my dads parts trailer, so I brought them home and went to work. Several wheel studs were either missing or broken, so those needed fixing, and the hubs had been pulled to take dust shields long ago. So I proceeded to clean them up, easy out some rotor retaining screws, new studs, and new MOOG ball joints.

Automotive tire Asphalt Gas Road surface Font

Easy out and Freeze Off (if you know what that is), made short work of 3 wrung off rotor retaining screws. Then it was on to replacing the wheel studs.

Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive wheel system Machine

The spindles prior to repair/reassembly.

Wood Religious item Art Metal Fashion accessory

Beat out the old ball joints and pressed in the new. I tried a new tool for removing them, it didn't work at all, but my ball joint press made short work of it.

Saw Automotive tire Crankset Wood Tool

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

New ball joints pressed in and snap rings re-installed. Old ugly ball joint in the distance looking jealous and stuff.

Automotive tire Wood Gear Gas Rim

Automotive tire Crankset Vehicle brake Gear Bicycle fork

And then on to pressing the hubs back in.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim Bumper

I truly do enjoy having the right tools for the job. Makes this stuff so much easier to do. Long gone are the days of trying to rig something up in the vice to get it started and try to draw it in with an old axle. Next, I'll be tracking down rotors and pads for this thing and axles. Then it will all get swapped over at one time and it'll have bigger brakes and axles. Fuel pump should be in the beginning of the week. Then its on to deciding if I cage it before it becomes the daily. That will determine seats. Thinking stock for now, especially if Bones has some old stockers I can buy/borrow for a bit. Then it'll be on to driving it and starting the real build :)

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
How was diving down into Hog Pen heading onto front stretch? A huge puckering moment. I'll be at VIR this fall likely for SCCA Runoffs.

Every moment was amazing! That little EF was full send through every turn. I'll likely be there as well, probably either crewing or helping however I can.

Reactions: slo_eg8

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Nice, I do love a new project, this one looks solid!

Also, i vote RT swap.
Twist my arm. DOHC ZC turbo, AWD. Do we think that would be legit enough? I have access to an S22 AWD trans from an Integra Zxi. It is hydraulic, but it should bolt right up and does not have the super low 1st. Its just a standard 5 speed.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Bones, how much do we know about the S22. Think it will handle the jam or I need to be roll racing this thing? They are so rare, I'd hate to install it just to instantaneously uninstall parts of it by explosion at the track lol. If I do go with the S22, I would likely go with the the Bangshift Billy digital clutch set up, so I could slip it at the track and not shock the drivetrain so horribly yet still launch like a boss. Negates the need for a dual clutch or Tilton slipper set up. Far more easy to tune, and completely streetable. Thoughts?

Reactions: robgoof
1 - 20 of 25 Posts