Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was sitting at my desk at school on Friday, you know, hard at work perusing FB Marketplace lol. Students were testing, so I was accomplishing something. First thing that comes up is a white CRX for way under market value. So I instantly think its a scam. Except, its in my town, literally 10 minutes away, so I message the guy. Apparently I was the first to message him. He says it needs work, I understand because of the price, I step back to make sure this is a logical choice, and a friends sends me a link to the same car and says, he can have his truck and trailer there at 1pm. I take that as a sign and send a message to arrange the pick up. We get there and its fairly worn, but it isn't used up dish rag worn out, yet. So he leads with, I'll take less than the asking. Now I'm wondering if he just needs the money, so I tell him to come up with a figure that is acceptable, a clear title, and we have a deal. He says he'll take $1k and feel good about that. I know the CRX market right now. ITs stupid. I could sell the car for 4 times that right now. I've been looking for one for over a year. Being shown many a shell, yes I said a no motor, no tranny shell for $5k. So I'd almost given up on getting one, until Friday. I handed him $1k, we jumped it off and I drove it onto the trailer. My buddy hauled her home (he is a fellow CRX owner, which will soon be D powered and turbo HF for him), and I got to work. It has/had a lot wrong with it. A lot!

So here's some pictures, then we will jump into the bad.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

I hate these wheels. She looks like she's 4x4...........should she be? AWD turbo ZC?!?!?!

Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car Wheel

in the bay, fart can and all. You can see the Truhart rear LCA's in that pic. He also included a front set of Truhart LCA's with the purchase.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

89 CRX HF weighs in at 1800 lbs. One of the lightest. Easy to roll around with just one guy lol.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Need a white door shell, that piece of quarter trim, and the JDM fender lights. Also needs both tail lights:

Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Vehicle

And of course has minor quarter rust on both sides. I plan to buy the Mill Supply patch panels this week. I figure thats the easiest way to fix the rust. Weld in patch panels and do it right.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Didn't come with seats, so I also need seats. And it has a d15b7 in it which needed and still needs a lot of help.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Hood Automotive air manifold

Car Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Now on to the initial repairs:

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First off, it didn't have any brakes. He had installed new rear wheel cylinders and it didn't have anything. My dad came over and we bled the brakes and got a bit of a pedal. Need to do it again, or maybe even replace the Master cylinder. We had a pedal Saturday after noon, but when I drove it Sunday evening it was again squishy and didn't want to stop very well. Had to pump it about 6-8 times to feel like I was getting any braking action. Thinking a Master cylinder, maybe a brake booster while I'm at it, and another bleed will solve that. The booster does look pretty crusty and it looks like the Master has leaked down the booster at some point from all the paint peeled on it.

Next I moved to under the hood. Started with the MAP sensor. It is a d15b7, so it has a MAP on the throttle body, however the firewall MAP was still connected (which is no big deal), except the vacuum line from the MAP was connected to nothing. So I extended the wires for the MAP sensor and ran the plug over to the throttle body mounted MAP. Next I looked down at the oxygen sensor, and found that it was broken off of the exhaust manifold. Nothing connected. So I had an old Kamikaze style header with a one wire sensor still on it (that won't come off), so I pulled the exhaust manifold and threw the header on it and hooked up the O2 sensor. Next I turned my attention to the injector harness. Apparently someone had twisted the wires together then threw on some electrical tape so that they could use the OBD1 injectors and injector plugs from the B7. Pulled that all apart, soldered the wires properly and then heat shrink wrapped those joints. Next I looked over, and sure enough, the resistor box was still hooked up. OBD1 injectors and a resistor box are a recipe for frying the injector drivers in your ECU. So I did then delete on that and connected all those wires together. Also adjusted the clutch in there somewhere as well. After trickle charging the battery, I decided it was time to crank it up, but before I did that I decided to see which ECU was in it. Sure enough, it had a PM8 HF ecu in it, so I swapped that out with a PM6 I had on the shelf. So after all of that, I cranked it up and it idled to the moon. Probably 2500-3000 (no tach on the HF). Took the CAI off of it, put my finger over the FITV port in the throttle body and the idle came down to normal, so that let me know the wax pill in the Fast Idle Throttle Valve under the throttle body was out of adjustment. I took it apart, adjusted the FITV, fired it back up and decided to go for a ride. Idle was much better, brakes were squishy, headlights worked (lol), and up the street I went. However, it kind of feels like you're taking off in 2nd when you're in first and it won't rev out, so I'm thinking either the spark plugs are just fouled out to death because of all the fuel that was dumping because of the no MAP, no O2 sensor, and resistor box with obd1 injectors....... So today/tomorrow night, I'll pull the spark plugs and check them, and also check to make sure the timing belt is right. She's been a bit of a basket case, but it's been an adventure so far finding all of the things that need fixing. I'll post more pics as I go. The person that swapped it, loved washers. There are washers everywhere. Like......every.......where. Nonsensically so.

Thoughts?

Should I just daily it once I get it sorted.

Should I build an engine for it and slap a turbski on it?

Should I do the above and AWD it?

Hmm... AWD ZC turbo....... that would be fun, but pricey. Very pricey.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
D17 swap because you’re a fucking lunatic
Hell even I'm not that crazy hahahahahaha

b16 turbo it......yes, I know what I said :(

with a crv awd conversion :*
Are we talking a long rod B16b? I'm listening................

Parts donations are welcome. And you're in Florida, want to meet up at S1built to check him out?

Are D16ZCs easy to get hold of where you are? I had to go with a Z6 to replace the ZC in the Integra.
They are getting harder to find in the US, but occasionally they come up. And you can still get them imported now and again, they are just getting expensive.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,918 Posts
not the bolts for the rear bolts for the fronts seat will pull out of the chassis. I have a pass. seat for it from my 89 HF, not sure if I still have the drivers seat. I need to check out my storage unit of what I have, the one with Fowee's bike in it! Many other parts as well, you might have to visit my old CRX for parts, it is why I gave it to Fowee.

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
not the bolts for the rear bolts for the fronts seat will pull out of the chassis. I have a pass. seat for it from my 89 HF, not sure if I still have the drivers seat. I need to check out my storage unit of what I have, the one with Fowee's bike in it! Many other parts as well, you might have to visit my old CRX for parts, it is why I gave it to Fowee.
I will be passing through Cincy in June on the way to North Dakota of all places. Riding shotgun with a buddy going back to his homestead from NC lol.

If you decide to go ZC AWD lmk, I know a guy with the full setup, but it's here in Ga

By full set up, what do you mean? Like all of the AWD stuff or all of the ZC stuff? I have friends in Georgia lol. What part? And then we'd need to talk price if it is for the AWD stuff. Wagon or CRV?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,709 Posts
Are we talking a long rod B16b? I'm listening................

Parts donations are welcome. And you're in Florida, want to meet up at S1built to check him out?

largo isnt that far away ;)

• Love
Reactions: Soul Engineering

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a local junkyard with a z6, but that's probably going to be mine, lol.
I can message him, I'd be surprised if he didn't.
largo isnt that far away ;)
He does give a veteran discount so............

Crap.....

I'll need to read up on the work around for the CRX fuel tank. No hump in it, so pretty sure you have to go fuel cell or custom tank.

• Haha
Reactions: slo_eg8

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Needing to change out the wheel and tire combo as well. The 17's have to go. makes it look like a 4x4 and not in the AWD sense. So I was looking on Marketplace and found a set of these. Thoughts?

Enkei J-SPEED Black Wheel: 15x7 38mm Offset 4x100

I thought about just putting it on 14" steel wheels for a while, but I don't hate these and they have new tires on them.

The set I found has a brand new set of Nitto Neo Gen tires on them. So I'd like opinions on those as well if you have them. Thanks

1 - 20 of 59 Posts