Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Saturday i had a failure with my manifold and today i was taking it all apart to have it repaired and i find oil... remind you the turbo is new. ive only had this turbo on the car for about 6-8k miles. I have a oil restrictor from go autoworks and the oil drain line is done correct so i know its not that.

The intake had some oil in it too... kinda strange cuz the intercooler piping has no oil its clean... but you can see there is some oil on the inlet of the turbo..

Here is the drain line just in case people are wondering..

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
you shouldnt have to use a restrictor for that turbo unless its BB.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
How do you get oil in the inlet of the turbo?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah thats what i dont get either... the intake filter of the turbo is all clean and no oil on the inside of the intake pipe and there isn't oil on the IC piping but somehow has oil in the inlet.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
thats pretty bad. ive heard so many of these failures with precision units its not even funny.

does it smoke. that would cause an insane amount of smoke, i mean it will be nonstop cloud of smoke.

could have clocked the turbo a bit so the drain goes straight down or towards the pan, also i woudlnt trust those fittings and stuff. take it off and inspect the inside of the line/fittings

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
precision use to use Garrett cores, but now i know they are using some cheapo cores. i forgot what the whole ordeal was why they stopped using garrett cores, but i was really surprised to hear that they dont anymore.

but like said, you might have your turbo clocked where it cant properly drain.

·
Registered
14 Posts
pretty sure thats a garrett center section/wheels. I just got the new pte 5431b, it has the garrett/aireasearch "A" stamped on the comp wheel and center housing. Looks identical to that turbo, just a different comp wheel.

Look at the comp back plate, it probably had a garrett plate on it they took off.

Sucks, but send it in and see what they say. I REALLY hope my turbo doesn't do this to me... We shall see.

It's possible the restrictor caused too low oil pressure, eating the bearings, then once it got enough play, oil started to leak past the seals.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
im sure they still use some of the garrett cores on some turbos still. i just know that a lot of their turbos have turbos that they peice together to make their own from a lot of different parts. so it can be a hit or miss sometimes with precision.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
What size restricter did you run, Sohc-it07?

I think cervan had a journal unit blow even with resctictors because he shimmed his pump that time.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm runing w.e size restrictor goautoworks sells. I'm pretty sure it was goautoworks that said I should run one when I asked, even one of the guys at speedfactory asked if I had one on.

I didn't know lack of oil will cause the seals to go bad. The turbine doesn't have any excessive play.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
An people talk about ebay turbo seals. But I didn't see if u said if it smoked or not? Hopefully its just something dumb and easy fix like the drain or too muc oil pressure, but that turbo is still going to need a rebuild. That's one thing I fear is losing all motor oil due to the turbo and an oil gauge won't warn you of that. But
Goood luck with everything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Umm nice setup. I can tell you your turbo need to be clocked straight up and down you have it way to much of a slant. I had that problem with my T70 garret. What oil line size you using? reason i ask is that can make a big part of your problem also bro. First is clock it right. That turbo shouldnt be smoking. You shouldnt have to run a restrictor. Those are for turbos that are taking a shit and patching it up trick LOL.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
I'm runing w.e size restrictor goautoworks sells. I'm pretty sure it was goautoworks that said I should run one when I asked, even one of the guys at speedfactory asked if I had one on.

I didn't know lack of oil will cause the seals to go bad. The turbine doesn't have any excessive play.
im thinking that this has to be attributed to manufacture defect. Its hard to belive that low oil pressure can cause it to burn only the seals and not the bearings as well. Do you know what your oil pressure was? that can easily cause this problem even with a restrictor. as wiledwhitecivic said i ran a .020 restrictor on my journal bearing turbo and it still blew the seals probibally at startup when i had 100psi+ oil pressure (would peg the gauge).

On the other hand i tuned a turbo b20 with a brand new godspeed turbo on it with 2 inline restrictors (one inside the turbo garret style and the regular bolt on one) ended up melting his seals to the turbine shaft within 5 miles of putting it on while he was on his way to my house to tune the car. in your case the turbo seals have simply started leaking, if it was low oil pressure then they would have surely melted by now.

By the way did it smoke alot? and when was the smoke worst?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
how are you feeding oil to this turbo?

where is the restrictor?

what size feed?

i do not use a restrictor on my precision... its mint still. i use a -3 AN feed.
This right here^^

Went to Speedfactory today to have the manifold welded up and i talked to them about what caused my seals to leak? they saw i had a -4 feed line. they said sometimes you can get lucky an put the correct size feed line in and can fix it from leaking. so i threw in a new -3 line in and hope that takes care of it. ill pull the down pipe off this weekend and see if its still leaking that and keep an eye on the exhaust to see if its smoking.. if it is ill send it out and have new seals put in it.

repp to everyone! thanks for the help guys.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts