Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I just bought my first Honda with a D-series ever: 1992 Civic with a D15B7 engine. Well, I think the fan switch was bad because the previous owner said it overheated on his son on the highway, who then drove it until it stalled out by itself. He told me all this after I bought the car; I figured the block had warped.

I did a compression test, and got 150, 91, 120, and 135. The 91 in #2 is evidence for my suspicion, as it jumped up to 220 after squirting oil. Also, the head gasket doesn't seem to have broken anywhere, which makes me think the engine overheated and warped, which was the failure. No coolant mixing with oil, but there is coolant loss and the car runs just fine if I short the thermo fan switch connector to make the fan run continuously.

I pulled off the head and used an aluminum straightedge to check block warpage. With #1 and #4 at TDC, the pistons were encroaching a little bit and prevented me from checking straight across, so I put the straightedge on the edges of the cylinder sleeves, etc. In some places I was able to pass a 0.006" feeler gauge. I know the block warpage limit is 0.003", but I've been reading a fair bit around here and many people recommend using copper spray to help the gasket seal better.

I don't have money for another car, and don't have money or time for a used engine. I'm wondering, if I get the head milled, can I get away with replacing the head gasket and spraying down the gasket, block, and head with copper spray with this kind of warpage? Or, is there anything I can do to make this work without pulling the block?

Also, what is the best way to clean the composite head gasket material off the block surface? I read something once about a brass brush on a drill, but all the ones I find seem to be steel brushes coated with brass that comes off quickly, scratching the aluminum.

Thanks!

·
Registered
92 hatchback
1,517 Posts
I've been down that rabbit hole. If I had the funds I would have tracked down a suitable replacement right away or paid to have it decked and rebuilt.

I've used some copper spray and a MLS head gasket on some pretty shady crap and had luck with it. Never had luck with shady stuff with boost though.

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
get the block decked.
most likely the increase in compression was teh burnt out rings sealing better.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,661 Posts
Where is the coolant going? Getting pushed out in the overflow tank either bad head gasket or a crack head...

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
I've gone down that road with my d17 in the 7th gen. Get the deck milled flat with the head and then you shouldn't have any leak problems. Don't use copper spray, it didn't work for me and made more of a mess to clean the next time.

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Im with the others, pull the engine out and get the block decked,

also, if the block is .006 out, I would guess the head is warped twice that

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,024 Posts
Im with the others, pull the engine out and get the block decked,

also, if the block is .006 out, I would guess the head is warped twice that
holy hell he's BACK!

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
I had to travel into Asia n carry a little blue flower up a snow covered mountain

Reactions: slo_eg8

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,024 Posts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts