Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up d-series. i'm back after an extended break. Little back story for myself (not that it matters but why not) I'm a Sys Admin, working in the D.O.D subspace for the last few years now which always has it's own challenges for anyone who knows about D.o.D networks.

But to the real point, who here has a NAS drive at home? did you build it? did you buy it? what are you running for software on it and what do you use it for? I myself am a music and movie WHORE and have about 3tb of stuff. I was about to bite the bullet and build my own but then i found a really good deal on a seagate central 5TB drive and so far am pretty impressed for 180 bucks it does the job for now..... untill i can fill this up and tell the wife she needs to let me buy/build my own...

so lets here it what do you have if anything??

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
man i was just going over all this last night.
I have a ton of movies on disc and i want to convert to digital, so its easier to find.

I have found the cheapest thing to be a pogoplug for sharing a harddrive across your network. But i hear that not all file types are support.

I then did some digging and i think i will go with a Android smart box and a 3TB or 5TB hard drive plug into to for the Tv

and the pogoplug with a 1TB drive for music since it i work on the ipad, android phone etc... just there access software is believe to be crap.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would push you to do something else to be honest. there is always ReadyNAS which i have heard great things about (coworker uses it) or you if your are not a big I.T (the readynas will require some set up thats not i what i would consider common knowledge if you aren't I.T) go with something like the seagate central. It was just pretty much plug in. Move shit over. and BAM everything is up for grabs on my roku's. That was the deal sealer, that really it took me a whole 2mins to get stuff streaming on my Roku's (which by the way another fantastic 100 dollars spent)

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I turned an old desktop into my nas. Running FreeNAS on it and it works great for my needs. Only downside is the power consumption.

And yes DoD networks suck....a lot.

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
Was looking at building one also.

But this Cyber Monday blew my NAS Budget... I got frustrated and bought somewhat future proof (until DDR4 becomes more powerful+cheaper) 16Gb 2133mhz Dominator Platinum sticks..

I think I was planing to use FeeNAS.. I can't remember.

·
Registered
1997 Civic DX Hatch
983 Posts
ive been thinking of a nas system as well.

i just plan to wait till i have a place of my own and will set it up.

may build one out of an old system with freenas but havnt decided yet. honestly there about the same price to build or buy so its kinda a toss up for me.

lenovo makes a great small form nas at a decent price with a 4TB not sure if they have larger. but ive got 6.5tb of storage in my pc so trying to come up with a backup solution for all that lol.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
I would push you to do something else to be honest. there is always ReadyNAS which i have heard great things about (coworker uses it) or you if your are not a big I.T (the readynas will require some set up thats not i what i would consider common knowledge if you aren't I.T) go with something like the seagate central. It was just pretty much plug in. Move shit over. and BAM everything is up for grabs on my roku's. That was the deal sealer, that really it took me a whole 2mins to get stuff streaming on my Roku's (which by the way another fantastic 100 dollars spent)
but im cheap lol...
the pogoplug is around $8 and the android tv boxes are $60. Then just combine with a usb HDD.
I will probably order the pogoplug and see what i can do with it. You can hack it and install lunix and make it a bit better. Its in my line of skills so that might work

·
Registered
Magnum RT
1,409 Posts
Without going into too much detail of how our setup is configured, our Chantilly office has about 12TB in our primary NAS, and our secondary NAS is coming up on 30 or 40 TB. Building a NAS setup, is actually fairly cheap these days. Storage is dirt cheap, chassis are stupid cheap (Deep Discount Servers | Server Components | Refurbished Servers | Lowest Prices), and the OS is "free" (FreeNAS). Once I get my house sold in Lynchburg and get a place up here in Chantilly/Leesburg/Ashburn/somewhere-up-here, I will likely get a 12 or 24U rack and build a NAS/hosting setup.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Bought a 2Tb raid 1 nas for 150 at a local place microcenter for around 150.

Seen other units cheaper now.

As for seagate................... ive had more seagate drive failures then all other brands put together.... Get rid of it while its working!

·
Registered
801 Posts
i prefer to have flexibility.

i currently run windows home server on a low power quadcore with retired enterprise raid card.

its a little more complex then just a nas, but i can grow drive space as needed.

also, if you are using it to archive music and movies... absolutely make sure you have redundancy or you will lose a lot of work.

if you aren't afraid of throwing together a cheap pc, you get way more flexibility and way more data security than just a plug and go nas.
also try the western digital reds for probably the best bang for buck storage drives unless you want to go into the enterprise series.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I run FreeNAS, seagate and toshiba 3TB drives in a raidz2. NAS drives arent worth the price at home in my opinion.
^^^ what he said...

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Most devices in my home rely on my NAS setup. It serves as the location for my media (tv, movies, music) and the XBOXs and other media devices stream directly from the SAMBA share on it. My network scanners also save their files to it.

I am a bit of a file whore myself; I have 2x 2 TB in there now RAIDED for redundancy.

I went with an off-the-shelf setup for a few reasons. The main one is ease-of-use and the second is power consumption. Yes you can build a server at home, but YOU are responsible for troubleshooting the nix installation and hardware bits and ensuring you use enterprise-grade parts. With something off-the-shelf, you plug it in and go. No configuring RAID manually, no BS.

You will save a LOT on power consumption with an out-of-the-box setup as well.

I elected to go with the ReadyNAS Pro 2 from Netgear and couldn't be happier. It has DYNAMIC spanning as well, so if you want to upgrade from a pair of 2TBs to 3TBs, you just hotswap one out, press sync, and then hotswap the second upon completion.

It also allows you SSH access, so if you feel like tinkering you can. For example, I have some cron jobs that do backup tasks for me and I also ran a small minecraft server on the NAS for shits and grins. Most out-of-box NASes will also let you spin down the disks when idle and communicate with a UPS for graceful shutdown. All of this is a checkbox away.

Also, whatever you do absolutely do NOT buy that cheap Seagate drive. If your data means anything to you WD at minimum is where to start.

i prefer to have flexibility.

i currently run windows home server on a low power quadcore with retired enterprise raid card.

its a little more complex then just a nas, but i can grow drive space as needed.
Are you using Windows software RAID on top of that extension card? YUCK! Relying on Windows to manage disks is just... I hope it's true RAID, but the fact that you said 'grow drive space' as needed leads me to believe its not.

if you aren't afraid of throwing together a cheap pc, you get way more flexibility and way more data security than just a plug and go nas.
also try the western digital reds for probably the best bang for buck storage drives unless you want to go into the enterprise series.
Absolutely don't do this. Do you want to have to deal with rebuilding a RAID array when that PC inevitably shits the bed? Do you want to have to deal with trying to install RAID drivers at OS install time when you have to swap the mobo and format the central disk? bahhh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts