Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, yesterday was the third day(non consecutive) which I spent on trying to get one damn nut off my catalytic converter, so I can put my world sport 2 on it. Well, no matter what I did, i couldnt get it off. I even had my dad help me. We even used a tool for stripped nuts, which ended up stripping it more.

So, what am I to do now? I could either take it to a shop and see if they can get it off, but I don't know how much they would charge, and if it would be worth it.

Another idea that popped in my head was to get a brand new catalytic converter. Now, where would I get a decent one for not a whole lot of money? I would need one as a direct bolt in, with the bung hole for the o0 sensor. I have a 98 ex, if that matters at all.

Help..

·
Registered
97 GSX-R 750
1,548 Posts
get a torch and heat it until its glowing red. it will loosen up then

and no, im not joking
I use PB Blaster, spray and soak for 5-10 minutes then repeat it'll usually work, but as a last resort I'd either break out the torch or the dremel.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I don't have a torch, and I used the whole can of pb blaster. Not the nut is completly stripped too. How much is a new cat?

·
Banned
939 Posts
Nut splitter or a Dremel/side cutter. Slot the side of the nut and stick a slotted screw driver in and twist. It should open up enough to slide it right off.

·
Registered
605 Posts
ebay

Reactions: EJ1All-Star

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Just cut the bitch off, lol. But watch out for a flying bolt though(know from experience). Then go get a new bolt or something.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have any ide what those parts would cost?

And also, in order to put the new stud in, do I have to remove the heat shield to gain acces?

·
Registered
00 Civic Coupe
267 Posts
I stripped out two of the three studs on my converter but was able to get one of the stripped ones back on. So, I'm only using two of the nuts to hold it on. It doesn't leak so I'm not worried about it. Just cut it off and see if it works with only two. If it doesn't then go to plan B.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
yea I snamed 6 bolts when doing my rear lower control arms, I had a similar issue when I was puting on my header, the nuts just wouldnt come off!.

I just used a saw and cut the bolt in 1/2. a trip to the hardware store and a set of new bolts fixed the problem.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Around 25 bucks for 1 stud and 3 nuts unless ya get hookups at ur local dealer!?
pff thats ALOT for 25 you could get an ebay testpipe that comes with new bolts lol.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts