Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 96 civic d16y8, after a quick trip I turned off the engine let it cold down for a couple minutes, then I removed the radiator cap and i saw lots of bubble coming up, so decided to take the head off to send it to the machine shop. After milling the head and a new head gasket the problem still the same.
what else could be causing this problem?

·
Registered
285 Posts
are you sure the problem was not with the block? i would do a leak down test on the motor and see if that helps find the problem.

·
I wanna be just like Jimmy!!
3,148 Posts
let's see.. bubbles in radiator.. hmm.. first thing i'd do, is change radiator fluid, or atleast check it with a hygrometer to make sure it's not just straight water.

·
Registered
92 hatchback
1,517 Posts
did you burp the cooling system? i suppose all of the air bubbles would be out of the aicv and the thermostat? if all else fails, try to flush the whole cooling system.

·
Registered
725 Posts
When you had the head off you should have had the block checked or decked.

If its not smoking and you are not losing power I wouldnt really worry about it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
before the head was send out , i bought a new radiator, thermostat, hoses and coolant. the whole system was properly bleed, so thats not the problem with the bubble in the radiator.
Should i take off the head one more time to check the block deck?
what should i look for? How do i check it?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
like i said before everythings was new so theres no leak of any kind. Dont worried about money all is free for me (Friend of mine works at machine shop).
Anyway im getting a rebuild short block tomorrow for cheap from my buddy that ill slap my fresh rebuilt head on that baby!!

·
Registered
1995 Honda CIvic LX
1,050 Posts
I'm pretty sure the head isn't the problem. Swapping a new motor would be dumb too. Is your water pump circulating? Just because you have all new stuff doesn't mean it's not leaking. After the car cools, take the radiator cap off, start it, then go to the motor and twist the throttle and rev it a bit. if it sucks the fluid level down, your water pump is fine, if nothing happens, then either the water pump isn't working or somethings clogging the hose or a water passage in the motor and it just needs flushed.

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
ive had this problem NUMEROUS TIMES... its not a hg or the block.. its a hose.. i know it sounds stupid.. but ive had a crack in the idle air controll valve hose and it did the same crap bubbles...

i found out one day i was under the car and saw water... that and the thermostat housing gasket one time had a big crack and it was leaking

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all your responses!!! The problem was solve after i threw the new block in the car. i have no clue about the exact problem causing the bubbles in the radiator, but now i have my engine complete rebuild and ready to take some abuse:D One more time thanks:TU:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didnt swap the motor just because of the bubble!!!!!!!
I was going to take the engine apart before the bubble thing! i like my motors to be runnig with everything new:) plus ive spend about $400 for whole rebuit engine. Now this baby is runnig like a champ!
Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you are right about not enough brain, but hey what can i do about it :)
Next time ill spend more time to check, where the problem is coming form or even ask before do anything to it.
As you notice im a noob!!! without too much brain

1 - 20 of 21 Posts