Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading this site, turbod16.com and honda-tech.com for the last 2 weeks trying to get an idea on my build that I want to start. I have the basics, I want to make 425-450 whp with a d16z6. I have picked out a whole setup my only problem is that this is my first build and I don't want to screw it up. So if you guys could please review this, I know I may leave something out and tell me what you think I would really appreciate it.

I am going to use Vitara pistons with FJ Distributor rods, connected to the stock crankshaft. I am going to port and polish the head, get titanium retainers, bigger valves and springs and a new cam (haven't decided on the company yet). I am going to use 550cc injectors and new fuel rail wiht a 255 lph Walboro.

Now here is where the questions come in:

A) Will a T3 57 trim with a .63 A/R exhaust work for my goals?
B) Will a 38 mm wastegate be right to get this kind of power with the boost it'll
need to get to 450 whp?
C) Will this setup work?

I hope you guys can look over this and help me out, I want to do this right the first time and save myself alot of time, headaches and money.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
well,

The turbo should be ok
waste gate... I dont think it will make much difference really, but I could be wrong, not much exp with different sizes and power ratios..
The set up should be fine, only thing I would suggest is probably upping the size of your injectors to the 750cc range.

Biggest factor after parts will be your tune. Spend the extra money for a thorough tune.

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
I mean it looks good, 1 suggestion from me, look into and do a lil research on a Bisimoto cam. I'm not building my head yet so i haven't done a ton of research but i've heard nothing but good things about Bisi.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, Bisi is supposed to be the SOHC Honda god. But that is one thing I forgot to mention, I was gonna chip an OBD I ecu with a Hondata S300 and get a good proffessional tune, I am not cutting any corners with this build.

·
Registered
230 Posts
well that is good! 57 trim .63 A/R should be pretty decent for your setup,
Hondata s300 is a good start as well! your heading in the right direction!
like said before though I would upgrade your injectors , try injector dynamics 750cc saturated injectors!
I have heard nothing but good things about there 1000cc so some one should try there 750's!

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
you need to decide what kind of fuel you are going to want to use.
if e85 is available near you its a good fuel. 105oct on the summer blend. and its way cheap. if none of that you need to start lookin into a race gas. which is not the cheapest but i dont think you will make that power on pump fuel

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats not a huge deal, but I have been reading and was pretty sure you could get to my goals on pump gas. But maybe I was wrong.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I don't know what other cars you have built and drove but I would suggest building your car for 200hp first (tho building for your ultimate goal) and learning how to drive that before rolling a 400+ car. 400hp in a street car is a lot of power and for someone's first modified car (especially a light car) I hope you have tended to the Suspension and tranny accordingly.

Pertaining to your build the injectors are going to fall short. A set of 750cc Injectors running at 90% duty cycle is going to be on the line. I would also look for an efficient Intercooler and the more importantly a Good tune as that is where the power is made. Other then that you look good to go.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't know what other cars you have built and drove but I would suggest building your car for 200hp first (tho building for your ultimate goal) and learning how to drive that before rolling a 400+ car. 400hp in a street car is a lot of power and for someone's first modified car (especially a light car) I hope you have tended to the Suspension and tranny accordingly.

X2

Thats alot of power in a lite car... And once u make that power u need to start changin everything e.g. tranny work, suspension and so forth.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
i concure with the injector issue...but 90% dudty cycle is a little dangerous in my opinion...personally i would shoot for 80% duty cycle, which correct me if i'm wrong here, would put you the neighborhood of 850s

i'm not sure what you have plained for suspension, but i'm going to assume you have already thought about this...

you'll need to step of the clutch and pressure plate...ALOT, check out lsdmotorsports.com for this, they have good stuff for a fair price...

transmission...the stock tranny internals should be fine for now, but make sure to change out the tranny fluid more often, the internals are going to have MUCH more stress on them, and in that stress braek down the fluid faster...

your axles might break, might not...replacing those with more stout ones are going to be up to you, since they can get pricy...

engine management, good choice...

that's all i can think of at this point to add into this thread...

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
just get 1000cc injectors then you wont have to worry about maxing them out..

as for your goal 400+ is a lot of power but id also love to see this happen on a pump gas sohc so basically it is a matter of how good your tuner is.. i am shooting for 350-400.. that seems to be a much easier power range to shoot for but also plenty fast

·
Registered
764 Posts
One scary fast ride. I concur with the above post that 90% is to much. However I have seen more than plenty of guys that want to lean on them. I personally would never want to run any part at 90% capacity. 75-80% would be ideal if you want it to last anytime.

Pictures would be sweet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright guys, thanks for all the responses, I guess I'll go with the 1000cc injectors, you know just to be safe. And I do plan on doing suspension work but that is easy, I just need to make sure my motor setup will make it.

I do have a question though, what are some beefier axles, I don't mind spending the extra money to do this the right way the first time.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Gator axles, driveshaft shop axles, Hasport if you have a swap, Innovative i think makes some also...

first two are the biggest names I know of, sure there are more out there....pricey as hell though!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let me bring this one back from the dead! My name is Jack Ward the gentleman that was building this motor is my best friend and I am currently in the process of hopefuly trading my nissan 240sx for a EF hatch, I used to live close to a place that had a track that held drift events but I moved to Raleigh nc and the closest place to drift is like 3 hours away so I dont see the need to build a drift car anymore. Long story short I'm wanting to go from drift to drag so I'm a complete noob. If everything goes to plan I will be picking up this build where he left off. I plan to dissasemble what he has already put together just to make sure and re-lube everything. Just like my friend jacob I like to do thing big and right the first time. My goal is similar to his but I have decided to pick a target 1/4 mile time and adjust my HP goals from there. I want a full interior 12sec car on DOT drag tires.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I mean it looks good, 1 suggestion from me, look into and do a lil research on a Bisimoto cam. I'm not building my head yet so i haven't done a ton of research but i've heard nothing but good things about Bisi.
I've actually been reading tons of BAD things about his cams lately. I can't speak from experience since I haven't used any of their products, but a ton of what I view to be the forum guru's strongly suggest using Delta cams instead. Delta is apparently cheaper, has better customer service and does Bisi's grinds anyways.

I also wanted to note that 400whp is going to be pretty nuts if this is your first drag car. You might want to shoot for that but start off with less boost to learn to drive first. Having tons of power is totally fun, but it may camouflage any bad driving habits you would want to break.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
yaaa... this thread is 3 years old. But i agree, I wouldn't touch a bisi cam with a 10' pole.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah this is an old thread I know and it was a while ago he started that build but like I said I just decided that a 12 second car would be a good thing to shoot for. I'm all ears when it comes to advice especially advice on building a honda for drag racing. I figured I would finish building the D16 he has then slap a cheap turbo kit on there and see what HP I could make. We have a few good tuning shop here in the raleigh and I know how important a good tune is. So I was gonna start with a cheap turbo kit to beat on and get seat time and then start some supporting mods then upgrade the turbo components as needed to hit my 12sec or faster goal

Edit. And as a side note I will be running E85 since there are plenty of places to get that here in Raleigh

1 - 20 of 27 Posts