Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
look above
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so basically i have the oppurtunity to trade my engine, its built with vitara's and eagles, for a friends engine, its completely bone stock, but he has a full fj turbo kit with it. so do i trade my engine which has about 30000 of hard driving miles for the opportunity to rebuild an engine almost identical but it will be brand new? what you guys think.

·
FYB or FIU tune, pick 1
95 Del Sol Si
560 Posts
whats the point ? to get a fresh engine? thats really your opinion if you wana do the work. Is everything already done by the machine shop? does your motor have a turbo kit on it?

·
Registered
94 EG6
115 Posts
whats the point ? does your motor have a turbo kit on it?
lol i hope not ... trading a built boosted morter for a non built boosted motor that is subject to fail cause all internals are oem.... IMO keep your motor seeing you kno whats in at and the specs and what not... im dealing with trying to figure out everything ona new used motor a just got and its a bitch w/o stripping it all apart...

·
Registered
98 Prelude turbo
361 Posts
Alright alittle more info would be great for this one... So yours already has a turbo on it? specs and also specs of the other turbo kit please? It would be nice for a freash motor. Do you have the cash to rebuild it? I understand sometimes you get bored and want to start over. If you do I would think about the FJ kit and go that road, wish I would of.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
I think he has a built (piston / rod only?) engine and has a trade offer for a stock engine with a full turbo kit.

^Is that correct op?

If so then IMO yes I would do it. D-series internals are not expensive.

·
Registered
982 Posts
is this a multiple guess question?
Ok,I'll play!

My guess is he wants to trade his vitara/eagle set up that has been used and abused for a fresh stock motor and a full FJ (as in vitara/custom rod) turbo kit. Which in turn he will have to build from the ground up and have the higher compression.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If it were me, and i am assuming that you do not have a turbo kit and he does, i would do it. Turbo kits aint cheap. Rebuilding the engine is (if you do it yourself)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think we are getting turbo kit, and the the FJ turbo rebuild kit confused...

I'm thinking its the rebuild kit - pistons, rods, gaskets, bearing, etc.
So it's a 30k EAGLE/vitara engine, versus what would be a freshly rebuilt fj rods/vitara engine.

I'd say go for it. You'd have the higher compression and a fresh motor if you're up for the work. 30k is already quite a bit of miles and I'd rather have a fresh slate if there are further performance goals.

·
Registered
look above
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey guys sorry i havent been on to answer questions. i have a fully built vitara/eagle bottom end engine with a stock head. im pushing 15lbs and have been for a long time. i have my own homemade hand picked turbo kit so i dont need his. what i am trading for is fj rods and pistons and gaskets and bearings. i have a spare block that i can use or i can take his which he recently had hot tanked, and bored to 75.5mm. thats the size of the pistons also. the only thing i'd need to do is notch it. he wants to trade just because he has run out of money and patience with the car and just wants boost. hopefully that helps

·
Registered
93 integra ls b18c
2,633 Posts
do it and take his if the machine work is already done, then all you have to do is esstianaly throw it together and maybe some other parts.

what all is he missing?

can you afford the downtime on your car

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
Are you keeping your head?
What ptwc did your boy get it bored to?
Do you need or plan on porting the pump?
What are the two blocks y8 or z6?

·
Registered
look above
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea i can afford the down time. thats fine. he isnt missing anything for the block, the only thing im gonna do is build the head while its down also. i work at a machine shop so alot of the work i can do myself if there is anything missing.

·
Registered
look above
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
im not exactly sure about the piston to wall, ill ask him tomorrow, and yea i planned on porting the pump, my block is an a6 but my spare block and his block are both z6's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts