Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Crx
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been awhile, my 91 SI has been off the road 2 years now. It was last winters project, and the winter before that. And there it sits. I feel lazy but, I have a house to finish remodeling, kids to spend time with, etc. Wrenching 6 days a week doesn't help either, building gliders, Fixing wrecks, frame rails, blah blah blah! I feel like there's no light at the end of the tunnel there, i'm swamped!

Help me out guys! Perhaps I stop in here a little more often and get my mind straight. I have a plan for the crx, I just gotta make time.

·
Registered
2000 Tundra
153 Posts
Same with my crx... except it's been 6 years. I've never seen it running

I am just lazy/apathetic at this point. I have stuff going on but not enough that would stop me from working on it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Seeing everyone else with their nice cars out on a nice day is enough motivation for me.

Maybe you should just stop thinking about it and go do it. Go start making your plans happen. Ordering new parts helps too. We are all here because we like putting shiny overpriced parts on our cars.

Lets see this CRX

:ttiwwop:

·
Registered
duh
883 Posts
Work on it with your kids!! Mine are 4(boy) and 6(girl) and love to be out in the garage with me. =]

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
I'll assume you are wrenching alone when you used to have buddies around?

Do this, make a list of ALL the projects you have going one, knock out the easy ones first, esp. the "honey do.." list first. Points with wife/GF!!!!!

The slowly start knocking out other projects, it doesn't have to be "Complete the Honda" but break each project into steps. Get two step done on the kitchen (wifey happy) and one step on the Honda....

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
PS: I really hate wrenching alone...why I took on the challenge of helping BJWW when his D15B7 shat out a rod (motor still sitting here!) because I needed the "wrenching with friends" to get my ass back in gear!!!!!

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
I hate workin on my car alone too unless its something that needs to get done like the headgasket I just did I worked on it non stop to hurry and get it back on the road but if its other small projects then ill usually keep putting them aside. This site is my biggest motivation and seeing some of the cool stuff on here lately has got me back out there especially with the weather getting better.

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
Lmao. Its just life brother. One financial cluster f$&@ after another. If you cant laugh at its obscenity youll just break down. Its like ok this month we will be caught up, oh wait its so and so's b-day and then mothers day. And then we need to book a hotel for aug for my daughters b-day. And in november is my wifes b-day. Its seems like anytime you set foot out the house on a weekend $60-100 disappears. I remember once i took a $300 draw at work and in 3 days it was gone. Then you figure out what ramen days are like. Then obama care kicks in any you have to spend $300/ mo on healthcare that you just dont have but thats ok theyll fine you at the end of the year through taxes. Now my mom is moving out of state so we need daycare and the cheapest is $75/ week as long as we stay below 24hrs otherwise it goes up to $110/ week. In the next 2 years california min. Wadge will be up to $10/ hr which will mean i can work at mcdonalds and make about the same i do now busting my ass as a mechanic at a privately owned auto body & paint shop...

·
Registered
94 Del Sol si
489 Posts
I like working on my car alone, it really lets me connect with it. Sometimes ill just go in the garage and and turn on the radio sit in my chair and stare at my car. Sounds weird but it gives me a chance to take it all in. I think about how long I've owned her, all the events we've been too, all of the mods i've done and how they changed the car over the years. Also what's on the horizon, what r we doing next. Then when u go to that first meet no one knows about it but u, I like that. Good Luck getting reacquainted with ur old friend!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've always had to wrench myself,outside, no garage, and it helps me learn and stay focused on accomplishing my project. Friends are great to have around but It all depends who your friends are. If you got some ''talkers, who love to yap yap" friends you wont be able to get anything done lol. Thats the main reason i tend to work by myself. The only motivation you need, is yourself wanting to see the car running. If my del sol stopped running i wouldnt be able to sleep at night till its back running. . I had it apart for a month and a half to upgrade my turbo kit and pull the head. Only motivation i had was wanting to be back on the road under boost as fast as possible.

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts

Gunny says do work or he will definitely fuck you up!

Seriously though, take it as it comes, nothing is more important than your health and happiness, if you end each day with these things in tact, you win. Maybe try and carve out an hour or two here and there and do something to your car, wash it, order parts, draw up a plan on the dry erase board in the garage, etc..., the motivation will gain momentum

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
you not alone. I have a truck that needs wrenched on and just dont want to. Like bone said doing it alone sucks
Never really noticed the work by your self thing until the other day. A friend needed help with the dreaded 91z. It was actually easier to work with him being around. Cool beans

·
Registered
Crx
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'll assume you are wrenching alone when you used to have buddies around?
Ya thats probly part actually. Man, I feel old! Where'd all my friends go?
I'm going to try and pull the motor out this weekend. Fingers crossed that the crank is good, I found an a6 for 50 bucks a year ago but the keyway was wobbled out so that shot down rebuilding that motor .Maybe I'll get the rear fenders on order so I can get em welded in. I'll get some pictures up sooner or later, It's a little rough but nothing to bad. It's the black one pictured over there <-- Thanks guys!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
boost my motivation
Seems you've been slacking....

I like working on my car alone, it really lets me connect with it. Sometimes ill just go in the garage and and turn on the radio sit in my chair and stare at my car. Sounds weird but it gives me a chance to take it all in. I think about how long I've owned her, all the events we've been too, all of the mods i've done and how they changed the car over the years. Also what's on the horizon, what r we doing next. Then when u go to that first meet no one knows about it but u, I like that. Good Luck getting reacquainted with ur old friend!
Form of mediatation, BTDT.

Never really noticed the work by your self thing until the other day. A friend needed help with the dreaded 91z. It was actually easier to work with him being around. Cool beans
Esp. when you get stuck on something and the other person figures out a work around.

Ya thats probly part actually. Man, I feel old! Where'd all my friends go? Thanks guys!
I get AARP (@ 50) in three years, don't think you are "old" yet :)

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
This is the easiest way I've found to improve motivation, reduce stress, and GET SHIT DONE:

Step 1) make a simple work list
Step 2) have your tools and parts organized & ready
Step 3) work on ONE thing at a time

Yep, that's it! I make a list of the tasks needed, then order them from most important to least. When I have a bit of time & it's nice outside, I look at my list and get the first thing done. Then if I have time I go the 2nd on the list & so on. It also helps to have torque specs & instructions printed out if you're doing a complicated job like doing the head gasket.

My projects no longer seem as overwhelming and I can set a limit on my time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts