Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
honda civic eg
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i fully built this d16y8, vitaras, rods, the works, bored and honed and notched. we go to put it in and one of the head stud threads is striped out. can i just put a coil in it? no one anywhere does inserts for d-series.

what should i doooooo:no:

·
Registered
honda civic eg
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no one?

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
okay so i fully built this d16y8, vitaras, rods, the works, bored and honed and notched. we go to put it in and one of the head stud threads is striped out. can i just put a coil in it? no one anywhere does inserts for d-series.

what should i doooooo:no:
are you positive its stripped? I know I thought the front right hole was stripped because the stud stook out farther than the rest, but its supposed to be like that.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
Hit up a machine shop they should be able to retap it for you
if its stripped its going to have to be heli-coiled. you cant re-tap a stripped hole to the same size, it would end up bigger. id try to helicoil or just get another block

·
Registered
honda civic eg
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah stripped . the thread came out. i found a guy with a Y8 block in my area. i tore down the current completed block .now i gotta get new gaskets and rings. it sucks

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
yeah it sucks but at least it didnt blow out on you once the engine was running which would have been alot worse

·
Registered
honda civic eg
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i thought there was a helicoil in the hole sideways so i didn't give it any thought until i went to put the head on then i relized the threads broke off and were in there sideways

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have used plenty of helicoil kits on numerous cars and they have done fine but that was usually something for a exhaust stud or something. I know plenty of people that use them in blocks and stuff but I don't know if I would do that personally.

If you got mad skills or know somebody that does you can always fill the hole, drill it and re-tap it with the stock size stud. I had a buddy that did that for me on numerous vw blocks that were magnesium/aluminum alloys.

·
Registered
honda civic eg
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im just going to have a new y8 block bored and honed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts