Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Here's my situation. I currently have a vitara build I'm running with eagles and whole nine yards. I also am running a big 57 trim .60 a/r bullseye turbo. My spool sucks I don't hit full 19 psi till like 6 grand. I get to enjoy full boost for a split second.. not fun. I just ordered the 272-2 regrind should be here like tomorrow. Now, I was thinking since I have to go get a retune, should I downsize my turbo? I have a friend that has a 50 trim .43 a/r garrett and he is willing to trade me straight up. I want the quicker spool and i'm not worried about power I have 314hp now and with the cam I only want 350hp. With this smaller turbo plus the cam, I can easily have 350hp. ALSO.. the car is a DD I have never seen a track at all.. I do want to take it sometime and that will prob be the only time LOL

So the advice I need... Stay with the big laggy turbo with no bottom end and huge top end??? OR small quick spool with the topend 272-2 cam giving me a nicer looking curve that i can enjoy everyday??? Will the small snail and big cam play well together? Which will I enjoy more.. i dont want the small turbo to run out of breathe at the high rpm that I can have with the 272-2 delta cam.
Throw me ideas and advice please I wanna hear some arguments to what I should do! :awais:

Thanks guys much appreciated,
Derek

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I hate huge top end with late spool, I want something that's usable. If it were me I would trade for that garrett if it's in good shape, (or something smaller, but that's just me).

·
Registered
211 Posts
its a hit or miss man . you gotta look up the flow maps on both. my 57 trim spooled pretty fast on my old z6 , but then again a 50 trim is perfect in my opinion on the street.

that 272-2 might help your spool times also, and the right tune helps even more

·
Registered
207 Posts
Dont know a whole lot about turbos, but I too would definitely go through with the trade. If its a DD, having something smaller that spools fast and still delivers decent power is going to be far more fun to drive. If it was strictly a track car, then Id probably keep the current setup.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I know the fun will be with the smaller one. But i wanna know if the 272-2 will help that quick spool carry to 8000 rpm making good power and torque. I just dont want to risk trading for this other turbo and its shitty or i hate it on highway. These vitaras need some serious help with low end i have to shift to 3rd to go over a hill at 50 mph lol, but on highway its nice it don't boost at all.

I'm gonna check for a boost leak too..:TU:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I personally like a 50 trim. More daily driving boost to me is a lot more fun. Late spool always makes me want to drive really fast :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i know i feel like with the set up i have now i have to redline all the time lol.

Anyone know any set ups with a smaller faster spooling turbo with the delta 272-2 cam? do they make a good combo

·
Boost Gets You Laid
4,402 Posts
I'm sure if you had the custom length rods you'd spool a bit quicker.

I ran a similar turbo years ago and was getting full boost at like 4700-5K. Keep in mind I was also a little over 9:1 compression

What are you being tuned on? Boost by gear might be a option for you. Might be able to tweak the spool time a bit with further tuning. I'd say it should make boost sooner with the cam since you'd be moving more flow out of the motor.

As for the trade: on the good side, you'd have better spool time out of the box. On the downside however, you might sacrafice power in the long run.

I'd be interested in seeing a flow chart between the 2 turbos and a current dyno sheet

·
Registered
295 Posts
What is the point in stating the trim size? It means nothing without the inducer/exducer size.
You can get a 50 trim with a 34mm inducer....
So what turbo is that garrett? Might be a GT20-25xx

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm already tuned on electronic boost controller in place of evap sensor.. boost by gear.. with low boost setting and high boost setting.. tuned by innovative in Carlisle, PA
I'm really thinking about doing the smaller turbo.. I think it will give me exactly what I want

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Meh, I'd keep it as-is. It's the lower compression ration that is hindering you. Bolting on a small will change where you make power, but your ratio will stay the same. I'd say throw in that cam with supporting springs and rev to 8500 safely all day. Heck, if you still wanna smaller turbo sell the thing out right. That would be around a $400-450 turbo you have versus a $200-250 unit all day.

Whatever you decide on, remember...you are still boosting, so enjoy it! ;)

·
Registered
579 Posts
sounds like you know what you want already dude..go smaller, pair it up with that cam and i'm sure you'll be happy. the compression on those vitara's seem to be an issue for some.

i run a small turbo with a bisi 2.4 @ 9:1 comp and absolutely love it..leaving v8's from the dig and pulling all the way through 4th is a lot more fun than playing catch up.

·
Registered
211 Posts
keep in mind op that my old 57 trim on my stock z6 spooled really easy in 5th on the highway which to me sucked because i couldnt go over 75 mph or so with out boosting

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I think you have a boost leak or some bottleneck in the exhaust. My hx35 spools up great now on the divided mani but even last year on the 4-1 ramhorn i still saw full boost (25psi) before 6k in third( i also am running the 272-2). The cam will most likely spool later but carry the power better in the mid range and more importantly high rpms. I have had a tiny gt17, t28, and now hx 35. Gt17 was really fun light to light and making smokey burnouts and having no traction in the lower gears. The t28 was nicer for the little bit later spool allowing the tires to hook before the power came in and held it better up top and had less of the flat feeling in the upper rpms. The hx spools late enough for me to get traction and just rip. It will eip the tires off in any gear 2-5.... and the feeling on the highway is priceless it just keeps pulling so hard to redline and never falls flat..

Make a boost leak tester and check your setup as well as you need a 3" freeflowing exhaust....no cats or baffled mufflers as those will severly hurt spool time.

Remember you have a fwd....too quick to spool and you lose traction and once lost the only way to get it back is to let out of it. Rolling into your power help keep traction even at higher power levels

Take it or leave it just my $ .02

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think you have a boost leak or some bottleneck in the exhaust. My hx35 spools up great now on the divided mani but even last year on the 4-1 ramhorn i still saw full boost (25psi) before 6k in third( i also am running the 272-2). The cam will most likely spool later but carry the power better in the mid range and more importantly high rpms. I have had a tiny gt17, t28, and now hx 35. Gt17 was really fun light to light and making smokey burnouts and having no traction in the lower gears. The t28 was nicer for the little bit later spool allowing the tires to hook before the power came in and held it better up top and had less of the flat feeling in the upper rpms. The hx spools late enough for me to get traction and just rip. It will eip the tires off in any gear 2-5.... and the feeling on the highway is priceless it just keeps pulling so hard to redline and never falls flat..

Make a boost leak tester and check your setup as well as you need a 3" freeflowing exhaust....no cats or baffled mufflers as those will severly hurt spool time.

Remember you have a fwd....too quick to spool and you lose traction and once lost the only way to get it back is to let out of it. Rolling into your power help keep traction even at higher power levels

Take it or leave it just my $ .02
im taking it you like the hx35 ? i wanted to go that route on my talon but now im really tempted to do it on my vitara built . i heard on gas motors they spool retarded fast.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here's my $0.02.

A 50 trim will probably not spool up much faster then a 57 trim. In fact, I've ran both and couldn't tell the difference in spool. You could probably put on a smaller exhaust housing on the 57 and get the same result.

Secondarily, I haven't ran into a high performance cam that will increase your spool up. Just about every cam out there that makes good power will cause slower spool up. It's a trade off.

Lastly, I highly suggest you do a boost leak test. A 57 trim boosting 19 pounds by 6K is way laggy.... and it shouldn't be THAT laggy- unless we're talking a low load bearing gear like 1st gear.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
get a camshaft with a little more overlap.

while shitty for supercharger builds, a little overlap is awesome at pre-spooling turbos! you are basically forcing boost pressure right back into the turbo.

its a dumb idea for small and medium turbos, but for those big 500+ horsepower setups, it can mean as much as 1500rpm spool difference

most factory turbo cars have camshaft overlap if they are gasoline fueled.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts