Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well basically here we go the jist is:
Z6 block/Y8 Head (so I can have the dipstick in the block)
Ported Oil Pump and drilled main bearings
Simple 3 angle valve job and casting clean up on the head
Bisi Level 1 Cam
Vitara Pistons 0.010 oversize with matching bore in block
D17 Crank with either D16 TT or Eagle Rods machined on the big end to fit the smaller rod journal size on the d17.
Notched block to work with the new stroke
75-100shot for the track with a separate small 2 gal fuel tank and pump.
92 Oct street tune, Ras Gas while on the giggles.

Zealworks shows a 8cc dish on the vitaras, 28mm compression height,
and I yeilds 10.53:1 static CR so just over a point over stock, what I'm concerned about is the -0.008 piston to deck height, they are just out of the hole. Is this too much with the cam selection above?

As for the rods, I'm curious so see what you think about machining the d16 rods to fit the d17 journals, I don't think this has been done yet as far as a build so hit me, good idea bad idea. Its not happening for a while or atleast until I get a 4g-4dr to play around with to test it out before it goes in my coupe.

·
Registered
1997 Civic Hatch D18Y8 M62 S/C
2,663 Posts
I'm doing a similar build except with a 78mm bore on a sleeved block...

What size HG are you planning on using? Just get one thick enough to get the clearance you need.

D16 rods are 22.66mm while D17s are 19.81 so you need to have 1.425mm (so almost 1.5mm) removed from each side. I think it's too much. I have set of OEM Y8s and D17s in the shop. I'll take a pic in a sec...

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
OK, here are some quick pics. You can see that 1.5mm per side is maybe too much material. Also notice that the bearings are smaller on the D17 and so is the tang. Now in my case I'm custom ordering pistons so I can use GSR Eagle rods that have a BE width of 21.8mm so only about .9mm needs to be machined off (and this has been done before).

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn that sucks, I was hoping it would work, the crower rods are fuck me in the ass expensive. D15 rods would be a closer fit but the length makes the R/S even worse so I guess the semi High CR vitara idea is on hold, the D16 rods with a 30 mill on the head and the 2 layer hg make for stock CR which will work well with the cam choice, and well let me go bigger on the n20 jetting as well. I think that will have to be the win for now.. Rep for you though for the info =)

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
And then...

Thanks for the rep and props to you for thinking out of the box.

The D15 is not even a consideration since the BE bore is 45mm.

Which Crowers are you lamenting about? The D17s? If you're thinking of using those then you'll need D17 pistons so that the compression height will keep the slugs in the hole. The last option is OEM rods. But they don't sound like they they'd hold up to your plans. There are guys who boost their stock 7th gens to 10lbs but I'm not sure what HP that nets them.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I think I'll just be sticking with my plan B, vitara's eagles and a mill, and roll'n a mild cam and n20 with a bigger shot =D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts