Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This coming weekend i'm picking up a d16z6 complete stock engine but the thing is it has a "FRIED RINGS" the seller said that he'll include brand new Rings for it..and a 3 ply head gasket..what other things i should change while the engine it out? water pump? timing belt? etc... gonna check it out this weekend anything i should look for before buying it?...BTW i'm still kind a noob about have a d-series engine so i need all help i can get and make it easy to understand..thanks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anybody? could really use some advice...is it worth it? cause it cost $200? tell me what you guyz think thanks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
when you say complete, I take it that's including everything with tranny? Next question is what are your goals. If you are looking to boost, I would just rebuild now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
well i use my car for daily driving going to school, work, go out etc..so basically i like to have a reliable one, even tho later i might end up boosting it or not who knows.

·
Registered
122 Posts
well, would you be able to repair it yourself? If it's not missing any parts it may still be worth it. Otherwise, I would just find a lower mileage working engine. If you have no plans for it, what's wrong with your current one?

·
Registered
936 Posts
burnt rings are not something you'll want to deal with. they may have scored/scratched up the cylinders badly and then the cylinders may need to be rehoned by a shop (new oversized pistons too), or burnt rings may mean lack of oil....meaning f*#ked up bearings which will cost you about 200 for crank and main bearins...then if that's not enough the crank may also be scored/scratched up and you'll either have to replace or repolish the crank...too much work imo...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hyisbm-well the one i have right now(d15b7) is burning oil and smokes comes out at 4k up rpm, i think the valve need to be resealed, or the o-ring.

Arachnid- thats a lot of work, might as well get a short block..

I found a person selling a jdm d15b w/ estimated 75,000 mileage on it, he said nothing wrong w/ it and he selling it for $500 obo, but the tranny is cable so i'm trying to see if he'll part it out cause i have a hydro on my civic.
what else would i need to get? i know it'll drop right in, can i use my d15b7 ecu till i can find some1 selling a p28 ecu? and what harness i need to get a subharness like doing a mini-me or just get the whole wiring harness?lmk thanks

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
it's safge to use the B7 wcu for a short time... it won't hurt anything really.

the mini-me subharness will do fine...

my D15B had the vtec plugs on the solenoid, ao all I did was run a few wires from the engine side connector....

as far as what you will want to do:

the rings could have been blown by running lean as well...

If you get it, do a water pump, triple check the tensioner. replace all seals on the motor (rear main, etc), and eplace the orings on the water tube.

·
Registered
1994 Honda Civic CX
159 Posts
i say if you can get it for 100 to 200 bucks then get it and just rebuild it or something. but give it a nice tune up and change all the belts just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
122 Posts
if you don't really have plans for the motor, why not just fix what you have. Motor swapping and engine building may not be something you want to deal with right now.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
you can find a good d16z6 for 200. Not worth dealing with unless it was 100 or less, and you plan to completely refresh.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I think you might as well take it apart, see what's wrong with it, then decide.
If you get OS pistons, rebore the block, and replace bearings, seals etc,
you will get a reliable engine (if you do it right) and learn a bunch.

To do this job you'll need some tools though, and a proper place to do the work.
But I can assure you, it's lots of fun building you own engine. And the moment when it's running definitly makes a guy proud! :TU:

·
Registered
218 Posts
hell y dont u just take urs out and bor it out and put new pistons rods rings and alll that to make the motor new..and crank thats what im doing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts