Honda D Series Forum banner

I need quiet/functional 2.5 exhaust, HELP!

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  sql_civic 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok boys and girls, I finally broke done and bought my kamikaze header to match up with my jrsc. I had an exhaust shop locally redo my exhaust to match the header downpipe which i got the 2.5. I wanted straight threw and the least restrictive muffler, which is some magnaflow turbo muffler I believe. They didnt have any 2.5 cat converters, nor did they install any flex (springs or flex pipe). Now its way better than what I had before (part stock, part 2.25) however it sucks. I paid over $100 easily, and the guy wanted to order parts etc for the converter and flex etc. But I dont know if I want to go back. It obviously shakes and rattles bad, and worst all the muffler makes me sound like im in a tuna can in higher rpms. Ive easily dumped hundreds in this stupid exhaust over the years.

Key is Im driving to flordia here in two weeks and would like this done RIGHT!!
I need the cat for inspection that is to renew at the end of the month.
Obviously Id like it quieter, I can only take so much noise for the 11 hr drive to fl.
I autox now so it needs to be high flow, but quiet-er, yea i know.

Should i go back and let him finish his job?
And/or put a different muffler on?
And/or resonators?
Or just go purchase a cat back/similar, piece it together, get something that works etc?

Remember I have a hatchback, limited space, I know bigger mufflers help alot.

Give me your advice, please.

See less See more
#6 ·
+1 on the turbo. ;)

Seriously, don't buy an exhaust. Design your own. Ryan89CRX was talking about how he got a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, no resonator, no cat, a turbo and he isnt buzzy at all. Best of all, they are cheap. Jegs has em for $40.00.

Moral of the story: go from the header to the cat, to a muffler. :TU:

#7 ·
if you're driving down from w va to fl, check out the shop I had do mine in NC.
He's kinda expensive, but well worth it. He builds exhaust for nascar, SCCA, NHRA, etc. The name of the shop is Elston Exhaust, # is 704-821-4494. Uses all mandrel bends and is pretty quick getting it finished up. To give you an idea of the work he does, he had a turbo viper on the lift when I dropped mine off that he was building full exhaust and i/c pipping for. He's the man :p

#10 ·
sql_civic said:
If you have a hatch and a header then any aftermarket catback will need to be custom modified.
Thats anything I was curious about, since my factory cat location is right off the primaries, would aftermarket cat-backs be there, or the ex location!?!?!

Anyways, Im gonna look into that muffler and recheck my exhaust. Shit i dont think they even welded the muffler on so Ill figure something out.

I do appreciate the commets, thank you.

vtecduck, Id love to have it prof. done, but a) I dont have that much free time driving 11 hrs, b) I have that funny feeling it wont be anywhere near cheap, but Ill definitly keep it in mind, thank you

#11 ·
hahaha,
man I feel for you.
I'm in the same boat.

I've got a crazy custom frankenstein exhaust too.
stock header--2.25 hiflocat(hollowed out)--ITR bpipe(restrictions and one resonator removed)--2.5"custom piping--2.5"straight thru muffler.

and it is loud as shit!
too loud actaully.
I have a stock cx cat/header on there right now(getting smogged) and a silencer, so it's pretty quiet now.

But basically, if I get new exhaust, i'm going to redo EVERYTHING.

here are some key things to remember.
GET A BIG RESONATOR, those straight thru mufflers are pretty loud, so you will need the resonator.
If you can, run a cat! They smooth out your exhaust tone, so it wont sound all farty and ricey. Also quiet things down just alittle bit, but mostly just smooth it out.

Also 100 is not much for exhaust work.
For a complete exhaust, custom made, expect to pay around 2-300 or more, depending on what parts you get, or if you're reusing ur muffler, etc.

#12 ·
Thanks for the advice tad, ive been wondering about those as well.

Curious peoples, would it be a bad idea to go with say the magnaflow catback for my hatchback even thoe it is only 2.25 piping??? My downpipe is 2.5!!!???

#13 ·
lilred said:
Thats anything I was curious about, since my factory cat location is right off the primaries, would aftermarket cat-backs be there, or the ex location!?!?!
An aftermarket catback for the hatch would bolt up directly to the exhaust manifold. The cat would remain an integrated component of the mani. There are no aftermarket exhaust manifolds for the 96-00 hatchbacks that don't have the integrated cat that I know of. However, you can bolt up an EX header and it might mate up with a hatch catback exhaust but then you'd have no cat and fail inspection, risk a fine , etc, etc. :sadface: I have yet to read exactly how hatch owners solve this problem specifically but they say they just run without a cat and bolt the old mani on at inspection time. I plan on cutting about 13" of pipe out of my catback (RS*R Exmag) to make room for an aftermarket EX cat.

BTW - based on other postings I've read here, 2.26" should allow for enough flow for a JRSC boosted motor.

Best of luck. 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.