Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 honda civic Y8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Y7 running tonight. I am buying a turbo kit off of eBay in a couple weeks and I am buying a P28 from a friend of mine.

1). how much should I expect to spend on tuning?

2). Which tuning software should I go with? (I have always read and have been told that Hondata is the best)

3). Right now with my Y7, it has a Y8 intake manifold and Y8 exhaust manifold and is running on a 2000 Honda Civic Ex D16Y8 ECU, (I haven't looked at the ECU itself yet so not sure of the ECU code) will I be ok to run the motor like this or should I get it tuned asap?

4). If I am going with a turbo setup should I let the car sit for now and get the turbo crap I need and finish the few couple of things I need to do with the motor and then tune it?

5). Is there anyone in North Florida that is trustworthy to tune my car? If so who is it where should I go to get it done?

And if there is anything that I am over looking please let me know as I am new to this. I have done tons of reading and research but I want to make sure I get everything right the first time. I don't want to half do it.

Yes I plan on running stock internals for now with low boost.

For now on stock internals i'm looking to make between 230-250 whp.

After I have everything done I am going to start buying parts to build the internals of the motor.

Also a side questions, I was planning keeping the motor non-vetch, however would it be beneficial to convert it to Vtech and if so how hard is it?

If you want to know more about my setup I already have a thread started under showcase forums section. It has some pictures. I am gonna add a video later of it running.

I think that is the majority of my questions for now.

Thanks in advance for any and all help you can lend

:fingers: :surrender::surrender::surrender:

·
Registered
96 honda civic Y8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate your response and thanks for sending me to that vendor.

On a side not I've done research and so far have found that Y7's are capable of making upwards of 250-350whp after building the motor. And my end goal is around 350whp anyway so it will be perfect for me.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Not that it is really indicative of my level of knowledge, but I like how you are telling the guy with 1000x more posts than you how it works. Hahaha. Nice.

Few more answers to your questions;

Use what ever tuning platform your tuner prefers. That way you get the best tune possible from that tuner.

Its VTEC not VTECH, VTECH is a welfare electronics brand.

And yes you want "VTEC" or at least the cylinder head casting from a VTEC cylinder head. Y7s flow like shit. Any other D series head is an upgrade, 10 years experience talking, not 16000 internet victories.

·
Registered
96 honda civic Y8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats my bad. Ya I know I am on a work computer it it does auto corrections and if I don't pay close attention to wait I write it is very easy to mis-spell words. Its an iMac too.

But anyways I know its VTEC.

Moving on I really appreciate your responses.

I have access to a Y8 head should I bolt that bad boy onto my Y7? According to what you are saying I should.

Also how hard is that to do?

Do you know of any Tuners in North Florida and if so who would it be and if you don't whats the best way to find them?

I know one place called Stage 6 Motorsports in Jacksonville but not sure if they Tune Honda's

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,451 Posts
expect $500 for the dyno session and tuning, plus any software or hardware needed.

Start at $1000 to be safe.

info per David Blundell, aka Blundar on here and in the Honda tuning community.

There are Honda tuners in Jacks FLA, know of one via. FB through friends of Blundell.

·
Registered
96 honda civic Y8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I have an update. We are pulling the Y7 motor out because we found a Y8 motor at the junkyard. I have decided to go with the Y8 motor instead.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Boy its been so long since I have posted. SOS it appears.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Tw34k and I do street tuning her in Jacksonville. If you want your car to drive well we can help for sure and if you want to push for power a bit we can get you on a dyno.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,454 Posts
what do you tune with?

·
Registered
96 honda civic Y8
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks man thats awesome!

We need to hook up. I want to tune it soon. And at least tune it for a few more ponies and get a little more out of the stock block. however how much do you guys charge?

And what is your experience?

It will be nice to meet some people from here in my area ect...

Edit: Ya I'm with him^. What do you guys tune with?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts