Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks.

Long story short, I have been searching for months now, but all I can really seem to find are people saying "Go OBD1 blahblahblah", or just unanswered questions from a decade or so ago.

I have a STOCK '90 Civic DX (DPFI) OBD0 with the factory D15B2.

I bought a FULL D16Y8 (MPFI) OBD2a swap, including the harness+ECU.

I'm aware that usually the first step is the MPFI swap, THEN everything else, but my question is if I can simply use the OBD2a harness (since it's intact), and have it connect to the cab/car harness WITHOUT doing the standard MPFI swap?

I'm aware of the second O2 sensor, knock sensor, and IAT sensor. I have it ALL already.

My intention is to go full OBD2.
I do NOT want to go OBD1, NOR stay OBD0.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not new to Honda/cars, but I'm not even close to being a master mechanic...

I apologize if this isn't the correct section, but it seems to be.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
So you want to use the obd2a engine harness and ecu in the obd-0 chassis?

·
Registered
650 Posts
The reason why people go OBD1 is for tuning options. You can't, as of yet, tune OBD2.

As far as swapping it in, I'd think it would be something to the effect of:

Remove your old motor and harness, and all accessories, and install the new one. As long as you have EVERYTHING for it, there shouldn't be any issues.

However, I'm not familiar with this scenario.

EDIT: You will probably have a decent bit of under-dash rewiring to do, though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you want to use the obd2a engine harness and ecu in the obd-0 chassis?
Correct.

I have no problem converting anything if NEEDED, but I can't find the proper info anywhere.

Also, conversion harnesses I have been told I need usually say something like "You MUST be using your factory harness for this to work", so I don't want to waste my time cutting it up for nothing.

The reason why people go OBD1 is for tuning options. You can't, as of yet, tune OBD2.

As far as swapping it in, I'd think it would be something to the effect of:

Remove your old motor and harness, and all accessories, and install the new one. As long as you have EVERYTHING for it, there shouldn't be any issues.

However, I'm not familiar with this scenario.

EDIT: You will probably have a decent bit of under-dash rewiring to do, though.
That would be ideal

·
Registered
276 Posts
my question is if I can simply use the OBD2a harness (since it's intact), and have it connect to the cab/car harness WITHOUT doing the standard MPFI swap?

No, guys. If it were that easy, it would have been done a million times already.

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
the plugs on the firewall are completely different between OBD0 and OBD1 and OBD2... you're going to have a LOT of wiring to do and connectors to swap

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that my account has been reinstated... Any other ideas?

I'm slowly considering giving up on the car alltogether. I've been waiting on this swap to become a reality for 3 years now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good luck and document everything you do because you would pretty much be a pioneer. For this its not simply going to be a wiring issue but you're going to have a add the OBD2 emissions portions for the ECU to not throw codes including all the EVAP systems including the fuel tank portions. You'll have to weld in a bung at the catalytic for the secondary 02. I've seen it done online but everyone says its not worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts