Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Acura EL
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

I have been an advocate for the eg and EK civic for a while. The idea I get from them is that they are cheap to maintain and are great cars with the exception of rust...especially here in canada.

So i need help, I currently drive a 2002 gti which is great and fun and i love to get my hands dirty, i do my own breaks, plugs, engine mounts. BUT i had come to the conclusion a Honda civic (specifically a acura 1.6 el = fancy four door civic). I need help with a big decison, im contemplating selling my car and opting for a civic hoping i can ALMOST EVERYTHING on it.

The reasons im selling my gti is it seems very complicated in comparison to what appears to me is a simpler civic, parts are very expensive and insurance is higher. I also have the 'fancy' 337 model which adds to the expensive part for parts.

Correct me if im wrong but for a do it yourselfer is a civic more easy enough to justify selling my gti and getting a civic?
Ive been on honda forum for years now, the 6th gen accord and civic forums. Ive seen how cheap it is to swap in a B20 into a civic with the biggest thing being axles/mounts/ecu being needed.

So ANY opinions on keep the gti? or sell it and get a civic? Any comments welcome im pulling my hair out trying to decide.

Also my plan is to keep the civic stock D16y8 and only upgrade as things go such as the notorious cracking exhaust manifold. maybe eventually pump out an extra 5hp

my gti hasnt been winter driven and this winter its either drive it in the winter or sell it. (also has issues including cylinder two misfire which has lower compression by a little bit, random misfire, Catalyst System; Bank 1
P0420 - 35-10 - Efficiency Below Threshold and both my locking modules dont work properly and are spitting codes ( car when locked will relock and beep every 10 mins)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Seems like a lot of hard stuff to fix is going wrong with the vw. The Honda probably will be a bit easier to work on, although the el has power steering and a bunch of other stuff to go wrong. The cx model civics are super simple to work on cause there isn't much there. I personally like the 92-95 hatchbacks.

Another thing to think of is emissions with engine swaps and performance parts. If you have obd1 92-95 they just put it on the rollers usually and don't care as much about the ecu. 96+ they plug in and test iirc.

·
Registered
1999 Acura EL
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help guys, Im trying to get over the hurdle and get my self into the dseries, i love my Volkswagen but like a hot high maintenance girl it just aint worth it after a while it seems.
My main thing is to be able to work on it, i wanna pull the old engine myself, garb a younger d series t belt waterpump and tension er throw the new motor in and be happy. Too much of a puss to do it on my vdub....

Also i love the fact a fifty dollar tank in the honda gets 500kms! Also the civic has like a 1/100th the electrical problems then the vdubs it seems?

So big thing is, you guys do think hondas are much easier to work on the volkswagen? (specifically 2002 1.8t compared to 98 civic)

·
Registered
Same as above
5,975 Posts
So far the only electrical issues i have come across on hondas is the solder joints on the main relay and climate control board need to be reflowed on some cars. The icm goes bad. But im sure these problems are heat related living in california the temps are known to pass 100f. Otherwise the wiring cant be beat.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
the main relay issue is more of an 88-91 thing anyway.

VWs are like the polar opposite of hondas in terms of reliability and electrical system integrity, I'd venture that 95%+ of all the "honda electrical problems" discussed on these forums are more related to poorly done wire harness hacking than any intrinsic flaw in the system.

·
Registered
1999 Acura EL
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you guys are making my day, once i do a oil change in the honda without a repair ill piss myslef in happiness haha

going to see one in a few hours..... crossing my fingers. then gotta sell my gti :evil:

·
Registered
1999 Acura EL
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just though i would update you guys, i went to see the 4 door civic knowing the mtor was pooched (could hear what sounded like the rod just smashing side to side or a dropped valve haha. But cosmetically had rust where the filler neck was and a decent around on both rear wheel wells. so moving on....

gonna keep the hunt, maybe i will win the lottery and find an EG hatchback haha

·
Registered
1999 Acura EL
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i find a few, you guys are awesome for the advice. I havent seen anything saying otherwise. Would i be able to post the ads of the car I specifically think are possibilities? thanks again everybody

1 - 17 of 17 Posts