Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
honda civic eg
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a d16y8 and im changing out the cam oil seal. i need to loosen the timing belt. if anyone could help me out i need to know the socket size for the timing belt tensioner bolt. and maybe some advice.

thanks

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
14mm. use a deep socket or a really short extension and pop off the cap over the bolt on the lower t-belt cover. when putting it back on don't torque it too much. i think its supposed to be 38-40ftlbs. check a book for torque specs.

·
Registered
honda civic eg
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you. oh and im also changing my cam gear to a Aem adjustable. so i need to take it off.

that sounds like if it got off a bit it would fuck my shit up.

·
Registered
honda civic eg
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive taken the cap off already but what it feels like is the socket is to big to fit into the hole no matter what i do i cant get it to get around the bolt. i'll toy with it a little longer.

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
its easier if you take the lower cover off, but if you use a thin walled 14mm socket, you can get it on there without removing the lower cover.

·
Registered
honda civic eg
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
alright, yeah because its a tight fit in my eg. im gonna try it with a thin walled socket then. if i cant get it i'll just take my bottom cover off.

oh and i have to get to the tensioner because the belt loosened its self up after some shit happened so its loose enough to get off just not put back on. also i dont want the chance of cross threading my camshaft.

thanks guys

·
Registered
honda civic eg
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay shit. now theres something else that came up. my aem adjustable cam gear dosnt have the tooth on it. does anyone know where i can overnight one from?

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts

·
Registered
honda civic eg
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
shit yeah. thank you, your like the most helpful person ever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts