Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im building a z6 block y8 head vitara motor....I'm using 9 arp's from the z6 and one from the y8....problem is that I put the stud on the wrong side. Im out of around lube and I need to switch the two. Now do I have to untorque all the bolts or can I get away with doing just the two. And if I untorque the head, switch the two studs and retorque it will i need to replace the head gasket? I haven't started the motor yet, its still on the engine stand

·
Registered
1987 CRXSi
416 Posts
Are the two studs you want to swap the two in the very middle of the head? If so, I would leave all of the other studs torqued down and simply swap the studs - then check the torque on all of the studs afterwards.

Is you have a short stud where is should not be, how did you get a nut on it to torque it down?

Kirk

·
Registered
158 Posts
you should be able to get away with just switching the two studs.....

the warping of cylinder heads tends to be from over heating imo

·
Registered
90 CRX
1,054 Posts
What kind of gasket are you using? If it's a permatorque you needed to take the head off anyways and get the stock Honda MLS gasket.

Permatorque is a crushable gasket.... definately not reusable.

MLS can sometimes be reused. I never would, but considering that you still have it on the stand. I would untorque all the studs, then swap the two studs and retorque.

Also torque all the studs to 5 foot pounds, then in sequence torque each stud to the final torque value of 60 foot pounds. Then check them all again. Don't do it in any other way. This is how the manufacture recommends it and they have an R & D department to test when these things fail or not. You can get some wheel bearing lube that is Moly. Do not use motor oil.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
why?

the same r&d department lists a tq rating when motor oil is used. even lists the weight of oil to use.
Yah as long as he follows the specs/procedure for usin motor oil he'll be fine. If he uses specs/procedure for lube but uses motor oil that's no good.

-Luke

·
Registered
90 CRX
1,054 Posts
To keep this less technical and where most people can understand it. Use what the manufacturer recommends. They have an R and D department so you don't have too. Do what is proven. Not what people say works. If ARP says Moly, guess what... use Moly.

If you get pulled over for slowing down at a stop sign then driving thru it, and the cop pulls you out of the car. He starts beating your ass with his night stick. Would you want him to stop or slow down?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts