Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. Let me start with my car. I own a silver 01 civic ex coupe. Its got an intake, headers, its lowered, and has an ok system. My car has definitely reached a turning point and in my quest for information and power I put a few posts in on honda tech asking about the k swap etc. I also stated that i love my d17 which raised some drama. You know most everyone is a slave to the b series hype. Not that the b doesnt deserve a little credit. To be honest I kinda want a k series swap. Something about the power and high redline. But, everytime I make up my mind that im getting the swap my little d17 pulls so hard and smooth almost like its reading my mind. When I asked them at honda tech about the possibilties of the d17 they responded with d17 are ass they suck get a k. Honestly this has only made me even more partial to my d. I am determined to build a k/b killer. I already have an edelbrock wet nitrous kit. Can a d17 handle a 40 shot stock? Im also just looking for any opinions on the route to take when building a d17, Preferrably a nos one.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
First off; welcome to the site!
if your gonna keep the d17 you better boost it, but the general belief on the d17 (even on this site) is that it is a shitty motor... 40 shot is pretty small, you would probably be fine...

·
Registered
29 Posts
40 shot is kinda small. I ran a 75shot for a year til someone broke into my car and stole my bottle.

with a 75 shot is was running 14.1-14.3.

Only way you can make a d17 fast is by boost. there are actually a few ppl making over 300whp, one is near 400. after spring I should be over 300.

·
Registered
826 Posts
welcome to the site

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
I had an 01 civic ex also. I had an Inca pearl and liked it. The car will handle a 40 WET shot of nitrous fine. Upgrade the clutch or its gonna be short lived. You can also pull a few more hp with a vafc2 not much but itll improve throttle response mostly. You could also send you throttle body to www.maxbore.com and they'll bore it out a bit. After that the poor d17 is done unless you boost it. Dont get me wrong crower does make a cam. But anymore then stage one will take heavy tuning and dyno time with emanage or the overpriced AEM EMS. Best advice i can give you is just swap the k and in the long run you wont feel like you wasted your money.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Welcome to the site, I would have to agree with my friend above. swap the K

·
Registered
'02 Civic LX Coupe
609 Posts
I also must say that I have grown quite fond of my D17A1 powered Civic. Everyone gives me shit for it but i am just as fast as my buddy's Subaru 2.5 RS. It is a fun car to drive.

·
Registered
2018 TuRD
3,609 Posts
If you like it, stick with your 7th Gen D. Yeah a K-series swap will give gobs of power and the sheer noise of it at 9K is like sweet music to the ears. But me, I love the underdog. I have no personal experience but heard an NA D17 is a pretty sizable investment in time and money for any decent performance. There are definitely cheaper, easier routes, but then it wouldn't be a D anymore would it? Personally, I'm headed the boost route over the next - 6 months in Afghanistan should pay for it - but go with what you want. Crower makes the Stage 1 and 2 cams for it as well an upgraded valve train. Expect to pay about $6-700 for cam, springs, and retainers. Hopefully Hondata will support our ECU at some point but its been a while since I asked them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts