Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up D-Family. Yesterday I picked up a D16y8 Long Block but from the Crankshaft Down and Pulley are gone. The Head is in Excellent Condition they said.

It's was on my Buddy's 98 Automatic Hatch. The Reason why he Replacing the Motor is because the Crankshaft Pulley or Sprocket Stripped. He said the Last Mechanic didn't put it together last time or something.

I have some Pics. I need to buy a Cord for my Camera and I'll post them ASAP.

Here's is my Question:
I know the y8 is Vtec, but why the Hek did this Engine have a y7 Intake and Exhaust Manifolds on it?

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
he mightve put it on there just to sell it, or maybe he had after market intake & header and changed out with some Y7 shit because he wasnt giving up his shit. how many people owned the car before he? maybe you should be asking him these questions too, P...

·
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he mightve put it on there just to sell it, or maybe he had after market intake & header and changed out with some Y7 shit because he wasnt giving up his shit. how many people owned the car before he? maybe you should be asking him these questions too, P...
I did. He called me up and asked me if I wanted to buy a Head for my Civic. When we got to the shop, the Engine was on the Ground and his mechanic was swapping another y8 on his Hatch. It's stock so no After market stuff are on it. The thing is that the Motors are y8's but the Hatch has a y7 Intake and Exhaust Manifolds on it. I'ma swing by that Mechanics shop later and find out more info.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Make sure the head is at least stamped as a Y8, and that you aren't getting what's left of a Y7 engine that he has made a mini-me out of.

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
ES1 Civic
11,969 Posts
well, i got a Y8 mani and fuel rail if you need/want it... let me know, primo.

·
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is how I got it..... The Pistons look Good But the Rings are Toast.

I got it for $80.
But will it be worth Putting the Block together or Go get another one. All I have is the Oil Pan, the Oil Pick up and the Main Bearing Bridge. No Crankshaft or Pulley.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I woulda personally take it back. It's best to get a COMPLETE motor cuz sometimes in the end it will cost more to get the misc parts you need. Also he sold you a block with a y8 head and y7 intake and exhaust manifold.

·
Shoot me!
2000 hatchback
6,890 Posts
Why did they cover this???
You have a y8 head right there why they covered the vtec solenoid for idk. I would take the cover off put a vtec solenoid on there get a crankshaft and pulley and fjt sells rebuild kits for bottom ends. Take a look at the valves make sure there not bent and check your cylinder walls for any sort of scaring. You basically have to pull it apart and check everything.

·
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I woulda personally take it back. It's best to get a COMPLETE motor cuz sometimes in the end it will cost more to get the misc parts you need. Also he sold you a block with a y8 head and y7 intake and exhaust manifold.
No, this motor had y7 Intake and Exhaust Manifolds on it when they took it out. They just gave me the Motor like this. I did my Buddy a Work Favor and he ended up giving it to me. So this basically will be something to just mess around with like go to a junk yard and find parts for it, nothing major Really. Eventually I will come up on a Nice Decent y7 and built it. I know my Patients will pay off.

You have a y8 head right there why they covered the vtec solenoid for idk. I would take the cover off put a vtec solenoid on there get a crankshaft and pulley and fjt sells rebuild kits for bottom ends. Take a look at the valves make sure there not bent and check your cylinder walls for any sort of scaring. You basically have to pull it apart and check everything.
Yup, They told me nothing is wrong with the Head. Only thing was the Crankshafts pulley or pulley gear, something messed up down there. I got a Haynes Repair Manual that covers 96-00 civics y5, y7 & y8. So it's Interesting for me to just pull it apart and Inspect things like you say. Thanks for those heads up:TU:

·
d-series Member
3,134 Posts
You have a y8 head right there why they covered the vtec solenoid for idk.
my guess is something happened to the old y7 and dude grabbed the first block that came along. didnt have the p2p y8 ecu or intake and exhaust mani's so he used the stuff off the y7, removed the vtec stuff, and pretended that the block was nonvtec. ghetto fab

block without crank and such is almost pointless, since cranks are spendy new and rare used. plus you probably would have to bore/hone match the block to the crank and girdle.

·
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my guess is something happened to the old y7 and dude grabbed the first block that came along. didnt have the p2p y8 ecu or intake and exhaust mani's so he used the stuff off the y7, removed the vtec stuff, and pretended that the block was nonvtec. ghetto fab

block without crank and such is almost pointless, since cranks are spendy new and rare used. plus you probably would have to bore/hone match the block to the crank and girdle.
That's exactly what I thought. y8 Long block with y7 Intake & Exhaust Manifolds?? removing the Vtec solenoids? Pointless. I almost came up on the crank n stuff from a Junk Yard I like to go to, but the Engine was gone the next day I went! Wack! I did get a piece I needed for my Civic tho.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts