Honda D Series Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey built hatch i was wondering what they recomended to you on valve lash clearance. Yes Stage three cam my valve lash is at 7 intake and 9 exhaust right this second i know the card says 6 and 8 but wanted to stay a little loose for break in. And yes the lma is Exreamly loud on my car it was not at all with my stage 2 turbo crower cam i was running. The low end torque i noticed a diff of it was alot better with the stage 3 i can be doing about 10 miles and hour punch it in first and the tires will not stop slipping untill after i shift and still slip thru first part of second basically a little more then a chirp in second. Also built hatch why would i have my ignition timing at 15 when stock is at 12 deg on 96 up civic's just curiouse let me know whats up with this. But all in all Extreamly recomend the stage 3 cam from crower i like how it performs better then my buddys stage 2 zex cam that he tries saying is more agressive then the crower stage 3. And no i have not had the money to do the head work yet aka port and polish and valve job. Just the cam and sprigs and retainers.

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Jdmaltezzacivic said:
Hey built hatch i was wondering what they recomended to you on valve lash clearance. Yes Stage three cam my valve lash is at 7 intake and 9 exhaust right this second i know the card says 6 and 8 but wanted to stay a little loose for break in. And yes the lma is Exreamly loud on my car it was not at all with my stage 2 turbo crower cam i was running. The low end torque i noticed a diff of it was alot better with the stage 3 i can be doing about 10 miles and hour punch it in first and the tires will not stop slipping untill after i shift and still slip thru first part of second basically a little more then a chirp in second. Also built hatch why would i have my ignition timing at 15 when stock is at 12 deg on 96 up civic's just curiouse let me know whats up with this. But all in all Extreamly recomend the stage 3 cam from crower i like how it performs better then my buddys stage 2 zex cam that he tries saying is more agressive then the crower stage 3. And no i have not had the money to do the head work yet aka port and polish and valve job. Just the cam and sprigs and retainers.
Brian Crower said .004 intake and .006 exhaust; it's still pretty tappy, however, i don't think it's the LMA's; if you notice, the LMA's are only over the intake VTEC rockers; the exhaust rockers are by themselves and they def seem to be the noisiest on my setup vs. intake side...also, i think that the base circle is stock on our cam vs. other loud cams who have smaller base circles, like the ZEX 53900, which i was sent a video of and it sounds pretty damn loud in its own right, especially for such a conservative cam...

I suggest 16 because that is a base timing that I have found to be pretty good for setups such as yours, which don't have high compression and have the y8 head which is a great resistor do detonation...shit, if i were you i'd try even more advance...

·
Registered
531 Posts
Are any of you checkin for coil bind? If using crower springs it shouldn't be an issue but if your using some other companies high perf. springs then it very well may be. I have to agree with the story on these cams, they are definitely beasts all day long. I was revving one of my sohc's to 8500 and that thing pulled on B16's like a joke. I have been having one of these cams brand new in the box for sale on here but noone wanted it! I am sellin the thing for 260 shipped....a steal! Hope that someone reading this thread realizes the opportunity to grab it. Great cam thats for sure.

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
vtecnitrocrx said:
Are any of you checkin for coil bind?
thanks for the response- i have so much room during spring compression that i can still see thru the spring, on both sides...

and the seal to ret. clearance is HUGE...these springs are so tall....

8500! damn dude; what intake manifold, head, head treatment, and cam timing did it take for that> that is some heavy stress on the bottom end @ 90mm stroke hehe

H

·
0 Posts
All I have to say is Im wating for some numbers. With the smsp header, and this stage 3 cam, I bet you car is a monster!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well i will try your timing suggestions this weekend builthatch. I called crower today and asked about the specs on valve lash and just talked to some tech and they said 6 intake and 8 exhaust. would you sugest going as tight as you said he told you at crower on my setup. Im running the crower springs and titanium retainers.

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Jdmaltezzacivic said:
Well i will try your timing suggestions this weekend builthatch. I called crower today and asked about the specs on valve lash and just talked to some tech and they said 6 intake and 8 exhaust. would you sugest going as tight as you said he told you at crower on my setup. Im running the crower springs and titanium retainers.
well, 6/8 is what they suggest, even on the cam card, however, brian himself sugg'd the 4/6 to quiet it down a bit...

it depends on how noisy it is; if its pretty noisy for you, try a tighter lash...mine is still pretty noisy at 4/6, but im just gonna leave it, altho i have been told by some to go even tighter, but im gonna follow what brian said and leave it at that---

·
Registered
636 Posts
so the zex cam sucks ??.. nice.. just got one...
ps. cant WAIT 2 see som numbers !!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I also recently installed the Crower 3 cam last week. I was surprised when I had to massively richen the car to run the same AF ratio I was running, when I had the Crower 2 cam. I had to bump up fuel pressure 5 psi so it would a good AFR. The downside is that the cam is NOISY. But I guess that goes with the territory. Overall, I'm very pleased with it. I've now tried the Zex 59300, Crower 2 , and Crower 3 cam. I have to say that each cam is very different, and all 3 are good in there own ways. Can't wait to see Builthatch's Dyno.

·
Registered
531 Posts
stmotorsports said:
hmm...
wonder if i'll have enuff clearance to run a stage 3...

<crosses fingers>
<squeezes real hard>
<shits pants>
What's your setup?

Built and i were kinda scared and instead of claying...we just put the darn thing in hehe. I'm milled .010" but i'm running apexi 1.5mm headgasket.

Just hope i dont float a valve!!!

41 - 60 of 84 Posts