Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will preface this by giving props to Brian Crower for making something that worked BEYOND my expectations...

Though i still have the tune in the PowerFC for the Crower 2, i can honestly say that my car is about as fast as it needs to be...it felt like i had just gotten vtec, putting my foot into it DEEP as many times as i could...i could rave about it all night; gotta let the novelty wear off a bit ; )

Crower was not lying when they said 8k+....i would shift at 7500, since that is where my present tune it "tuned" to, and it wanted to keep going...scary stuff with a 90mm stroke, so i'll most likey tune for a fat pre-7500 band..

the installation went butter, as usual with Crower shit. The only thing about this cam is...the specs on the website are no where near the specs on the cam card...they are significantly higher on the card, i mean this cam, according to the grind card, has .468 lift...... on the exhaust side! That means that all the time, since vtec is solely on the intake side, that you will have sick ass .468 lobes snapping away. This makes for a VERY noisy cam, especially on the exhaust side...i have upgraded LMA's, Gude used to sell these, i believe they are ITR pieces. Despite going thru the lash two times, it's not the lash. It simply is a noisy piece, so much so that my knock sensor meter on my PowerFC is showing a significant jump in activity at idle and lower RPM...all from the mechanical activity and noise from the cam. The idle, i can imagine, would lope a shitload on a setup with simply a chipped ecu, however, my PowerFC's idle stability feature is a god send and keeping things real at 1100 or so.

I will be dynoing very soon; i am still debating whether or not to get an improved intake manifold, just gotta find one for the right price.

If you have a sohc vtec with a ported head, get this cam. You will not be dissapointed!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
also do you have to upgrade the LMA?? is it louder then the zex cam?? dont really care about noise just wondering.

·
Registered
'91 CRX Si
2,158 Posts
so ITR LMAs are a direct bolt in for dseries vtec motors???

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
dude, sounds like you got one heck of a nice cam!! glad to hear it's doing above your expectations!

·
Registered
531 Posts
robtec said:
can you post the spec card?

INTAKE: Dur: 329deg Lift: .442
EXHAUST: Dur: 317deg Lift: .468

Kinda hard to read because of the light stamps but both duration and lift are more agressive than advertised...kinda weird but oh well i'll take it!

Yeah luckily the Power FC controls this thing at idle because while warming up i have a good 2-300 rpm lope and even when fully warm ocassionally I get a 100rpm lope.

Hehe Jared's a little more brazon than me, I've only taken it to 6k because of tuning fears but in my crx i had to say goodbye to 1st gear traction totally with this cam, even though i'm only running Builthatches stage 2 FC tune.

Just waiting for Built to let me know when we're hittin the dynojet!!!! :)

·
Registered
'91 CRX Si
2,158 Posts
robtec said:
thanks Agent Jam and buildhatch

i don't know why my stage 2 is diferent for buildhatch's stage 2
diferent intake lift and lobe separation
:???:
perhaps the z6cam is designed slightly differently than the y8....thats about all i can think of....

builthatch-those ITR LMAs are direct bolt in?? or require modification???
thanks

F

·
0 Posts
what are you doing with your crower 2 ($) and do you need upgraded springs for the 2

·
allwheeldriveturboboxer
'08 Mazdaspeed3
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
freshd16y8 said:
what are you doing with your crower 2 ($) and do you need upgraded springs for the 2
4ges staked his claim on the cam!

re: the springs/ rets....Crower does recommend them for the stage 2, interestingly tho, they don't mention that on the stage 2 cam card...

1 - 20 of 84 Posts