Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok
ive gone through two oil pans so far

one was welded with JD weld, which sucked
now i got one welded and it still sucks

leaking oil

im going to be doing another oil pan is there anyone out there that can suggest the best and easiest method of putting the oil return into the oil pan

maybe some pictures and examples would be great

thanks
ps. im getting dizzy from the smell of oil when i drive, is that good doc?

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
An approprite sized fitting, Teflon taped, and JB'd around the outside for that something extra.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol im gonna say no with that. have you ever tired one of the fittings that go between your block and oil filter??
no im using the greddy oil flange that comes with it
thats welded onto the oil pan going into a hole

im just curious if anyone has designed just something simple that will work and not leak oil

i dont care how ghuetto it is, as long as it works.

·
Registered
777 Posts
i dont think you can return the oild through a sandwich plate.. te best way is to tap the oil pan. what i do is start making the hole very small and making it bigger until you get it to just fit. then i add high temp silicone to the thread. then screw it in. then wait till is dries. then add some around the edge in the front and back. then let it dry for a day. and you should be set

·
Registered
777 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
show some pics...if youre putting it too low so its below the oil level that will cause a poor seal to leak where if it was above the oil level you might be able to get away with it. Like someone else said, just make the hole a little smaller than the fitting so you can thread it in and jb weld it if you want

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
lol im gonna say no with that. have you ever tired one of the fittings that go between your block and oil filter??

that wouldnt help with his oil return line

OP: i know on my turbo kit instructions it recommended using a punch so that all the material that is "pushed"into the pan can be threaded (with the included tap) to help with the oil leak issue. they also recommended teflon tape as was previously mentioned. more jb weld cant hurt either. make sure when you put the fitting in that it seats flush with the wall of the oil pan when your done putting it in as well. got any pics of current install?

·
Registered
2011 VW Jetta Tdi
106 Posts
Key to making it not leak without using jbweld is to run several beads. Run your first bead then grind it down so there is a shallow v-notch in the bead all the way around. Repeat this three times and if youre good enough at welding it shouldnt leak. Thats what I did with mine and it worked like a charm.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts