Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
01 Ford Focus SE
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how hard it would be to boost a d-series motor with a 12:1 c/r? I dont plan on doing this but I have always wondered if it could be done, and if so what all would have to be done.

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
its possible just harder on the motor just put stronger internals in it ie rods pistons and head work

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
Umm lets say you would need a beyond wonderful tune and its not really worth it 10.5:1 is about high as you want to go
x2 thats about as high as i would go as well

higher compression and boost means there is no margin for error when it comes to tuning the set-up. but like mentioned 10.5:1 is the highest

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
HAH!

The only guy I know locally said 8.5:1 compression is too high for turbo. I thought he was joking around...but the man persisted! I think he's trying to get me to sell my rods and pistons..or maybe someone he knows is trying to get rid of some. Either way it's BS.

Sorry for the hijack, but it's better than starting another newb thread. :mrgreen:

·
Administrator
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
its possible just harder on the motor just put stronger internals in it ie rods pistons and head work
you REALLY should not answer questions like this if this is your reply...

you can go high comp and turbo BUT tuning is key... you have a very very small room for error with it... like said above me.. 10.5 is the highest id go personally... ill be running 8.5 on my built gsr

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
but semi's run 28:1 compression and have turbo's, why cant our hondas. WHY!!!!!!!
Cause they run on diesel and detonation isn't a problem, it's supposed to detonate.

12:1 could be done... with the right fuel.

It would make great power too. ;)

·
Registered
03 mazda 6
315 Posts
oh that explains it. fucking shit man. fuck a honda, im switchin my honda to deisel so i can have mad compression and i can be like "w00t im detonating bitches"

·
Registered
595 Posts
WRC cars run 14:1 CR and a lot of boost.
But they are tuned by some of the best in the world, with rocket fuel and are rebuilt every 1000km or so.

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
boost is ultimately a higher compression ratio. I don't know why everyone afraid of a high compression ratio and not boost.

a higher compression ratio just means you you have to run lower boost levels. like if say a bone stock motor is capable of 10psi with no detonation, or I should say the strength of the rod, you'd probably only want to run i dunno 5-6 with a 12.1 ratio. maybe less. youd have to do some calculations.

it would be the same thing, you just have way more compression out of boost with is a good thing. I dunno if it'll decrease boost threshold

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
T-bone-

That will be veeeeery difficult to get it to run reliably (not meaning for thousands of miles, more like for a few passes at a track). The problem is that most methods commonly used to jack up the static compression that high are counter productive to running a turbocharger successfully.

Is it possible? Yes. If you have to ask if it is possible, then I would say that it is very likely you do not have the knowledge and/or experience to pull it off in any way short of running race fuel or alcohol.

·
Registered
01 Ford Focus SE
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hahaha wow, yeah i knew there would be a lot involved with that kind of build. thats why i dont ever plan on doing one like that. but it would be cool to do. hhhmmmmmm...... could i.... no... no.. i must not even think about attempting something like that. it would be a lot of money and turn into a motor that will blow up after a bit of driving hahaha.

·
Registered
EG Civic
50 Posts
Boost and compression are a very good thing when used together but like any setup you need the correct combination of parts to get the best results out of it.I have not built a D with that much compression and boost but B and H series yes I have with no problems in a DD setup or track.WRC cars yes use 12+ to 1 compression and boost but they also run a restrictor which means they do not make power above 5500rpm and torque falls off at 3000rpm,camshaft choice and turbo become so important with hi compression and tuning with all combo's really brings out who really knows there stuff,with E85 around these days it makes it very easy to do safely and make CRAZY power.
Regards Dyno Dave

·
Registered
857 Posts
Diesels are not supposed to, and are not detonating. Diesel is compression-ignited engine. You get the temperature of intake air very hot by big CR (upto 7...900 Celcius) and then you spray diesel oil (self-igniting temperature 4...500C) into the chamber, and it just burns smoothly.

In detonation, the whole air/fuel content ignites simultaneusly, all of it at the same time. It practically explodes, and not burning smoothly as a flame travel from spark plug to chamber extremes like its supposed to do. Since Diesel engine doesn't have air/fuel charge (only air that is incombustible) it can't detonate. Fuel will burn at the same rate its injected into combustion chamber.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
with E85 around these days it makes it very easy to do safely and make CRAZY power.
Regards Dyno Dave
I was seriously considering a 10.5 compression boosted setup on E85, but I think it was my tuner that told me not to. I would still like to do it, but 9:1 will be just fine for me.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts