Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay let me start from the beginging. I pulled my d16y7 out of my civic to replace the tranny and head. While the motor was out I figured lemme pop out the pistons and see how everything looked. It looked fine so I was assemblying it back together.

Now this is my first time trying to assemble a motor, and I think I did everything right, until I came to the main cap. I guess since I was finishing up and almost done I started rushing and not payingmuch attention. anyway so I am torqeing all the main bolts down and i do the first round at 18lbs or whatver the helms said. Then I am going over them again at the 38lbs or whatever the helms said i dont eally remember right now, anyway when i came to the 4th bolt i think or so, I heard a snap. At first I thought i broke the bolt. But I look down and this is what I see

I couldnt believe my eyes. I was thinking maybe cuz it was so cold outside that was the reason. I mean how could that have broken. So while staring at the block and thinking I started kicking myself in the butt. I realize the main cap didnt really seat/click in place flush and was off a little. I guess with the rushing i didnt make sure it was on all the way so when i was torquing the pressure pressed the one said down but since the other side wasnt aligned right it didnt move/lower and it cracked. I guess thats what I guess for rushing

Okay so that is the background of whats going on right now, Now on to my current problem and questions

I have a d16y8 block laying around my gargae. When I got the block I was told it didnt run and he didnt kno why, they were guessing a spun bearing maybe. now my first question, would I be able to take the crank from the y7 and put it in the y8 block and use the y8 main cap, if so which main bearings do I run? would i be able to just get a standard size y8 or y7 ones or will i have to plastiguage them?? this is of course assuming that the motor had a spun bearing.

second as far as the piston/rod situation, would i be able to run the y8 rods on the y7 crank? again if so which bearings would i get? or will it be just easier/better to just run the y7 rods/pistons on the y7 crank. I should have any problems with them being in a y8 block, they bore diameter is the same right? and rod length should be about the same and not be a problem right??

thanks a million i kno i asked alot but i need help and need my car back, please offer ur advice to me

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
new engine...lol, and yeah y7 y8 are basicly the same engines.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
y dont u just take the main cap of the y8 and bolt it to the y7???? it be alot easier than having to take both of them apart to put ne together, and if u do that ur not gonna have to go and spend money on new bearings.......

just my 2 cents

·
i save your ass when you wreck
6,693 Posts
ehhh it aint that bad.. i blew mine to pieces along with a rod out of BOTH sides of the block haha

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
weird how shit changes, on another thread everyone was saying those are not interchangable. this thread they are. :bong:

·
Registered
292 Posts
DO NOT SWAP MAIN CAPS if you do you need to get the block lined bored and then you will need oversize bearings. they might appear the but swapping them makes the journals out of round and the motor will seize.

i recommend the y8 block and have both cranks inspected use the one that is good, if one spun a bearing it wont be good and there is a good chance the other was damaged in the faulty main cap installation. in order to choose the bearing follow the steps in the helms manual for choosing the correct color bearings.

congratulation's you've walked yourself into building your first motor

also on a side note never mix rod caps either,

·
Registered
652 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
I can tell you why it happend, somethin wasnt in line, the crank or the main cap.

It´s realy easy to miss, when you bolt the rods in the crank one of them could make the crank to move a little and if you don´t push it down again this happens.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
You can't just swap main girdles like that; you have to check main bearing clearances!!!!!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
true dont swap main cap/girdles.. unless u wana have it line honed and checked to be perfect..

simple.. just cuz sum does it for the wrong practice and gets away with it? it doesnt mean its the right practice for u to follow..

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
if you're seriously in a bind, you can probably get away with swapping the girdles (I have several times).

However, don't expect the result to be able to withstand abuse. But if you gotta get your shit put back together for $0 so you can keep going to work etc. then ok.

(My last motor had fragged bearings and I had to drive it like that for 6 mo. Made it with no catastrophic failure. just had to take it easy :( )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts