Honda D Series Forum banner

i dont know what this noise is...HELP!!!

714 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  makku 
G
#1 ·
ok, when i start my car (92 dx hatch w/ jdm d15b vtec) i can hear a very clear ratteling sound from the bottom end. thought it was a rod knocking but its not a consistent knock and it goes away at about 1000rpm. if it was a rod it would get louder with rpm and be consistent tick, tick, tick, tick, right? it kinda sounds like theres chunks of metal ratteling in the pan, almost like a spray paint can, but more muffled. if i lay in front of the ar on the ground i can barely hear it, but if i lay on the ground behind the front tire, its really loud. i was thinkning baybe a water pump, but theres no water on the ground ever. what about a timing belt tensioner? anyone, anything, help im losing my damn mind!!!

#2 ·
transmission?? mine is making that noise... it goes away when you put the clutch in, but not when you're moving. my bearings are shot

#5 ·
maybe you got a bad one? try the clutch and see if it goes away... just to rule it out.

G
#10 ·
i have no cat, and all the heat sheilds are off, as for the bracket for the downpipe right under the filter, thats gone too. im thinking timing belt tensioner because the belt moves about an inch back and forth so its very loose. i just want to be sure that the tensioner can create a ratteling sound.

#11 ·
back when i had my d15b7, it would make a BAD rattling sound at exactly 5000 rpm... no more no less. i narrowed it down to either the alternator pulley or the tensioner for the timing belt. i'm sure you're on the right track

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.