Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a total noob at buying stuff online, my car is 95% O'Reillys and I'm not proud of that. Anyway I need a d16 crankshaft with .944 neck, connecting rods, and if you would please point me to an oil pump, crank pulley, and crank timing gear (I haven't looked for them yet). I've been looking around like majestic honda but I'm finding it hard to find parts as I don't actually have a car to enter in just an engine. It would be a big help if somebody pointed me somewhere!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What engine?
Well any d16 basically, for example, I think the d16y7 has all the parts I need. It's a custom engine d17 block and head, d16 crank and rods, and pms pistons (found the pistons).
Now I also need to change the oil pump, crank pulley, and crank timing pulley to one that fits the d16 crank.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,398 Posts
welp, theres a search feature to see what people have built using those same parts, theres also sites like craigslist and facebook who have people selling the parts youre looking for. other than that, I have zero idea what youre asking

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb/ 01 GSR
1,906 Posts
Dude just use d16 pistons. Way more options and you dont have to spend 100 on decking the block 125 thou. This whole thing is not a good idea. You wont learn anything other then listen to people that know more then you. This kotor will neber be together and if it is your going to get ill bet 95whp after you pay for a tune. Ohh you cant tune your ecu so now you need kpro. This will be well over 1000$ motor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Whoa chill man. I've taken everything you told me into consideration. What pistons do you want me to use? Ones with a 30mm comp height? You didn't say anything earlier about pms pistons, I chose them for their dome and not the dish like the d17 pistons I was originally going to stick with. What should I get, d16a1 pistons? I looked for those too and I got mad when I have to look at an entirely different place for integra parts.
What is so wrong about decking the block anyway unless I screw up the bottom end? When I first saw the opportunity to make this engine I saw it would be destroked like crazy, shorter crank, short comp height pistons, decked block. That all just means less travel in the cylinder. That intrigues me, I'd like to see it run, but yeah if it's a really bad idea I appreciate you having my back, but why is it bad?
I'm not worried about ecu right now, I'm excluding it from my budget. Also I'm doing everything, only reason I'd take it to the shop is to deck the block or head and a valve job.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb/ 01 GSR
1,906 Posts
If you just use d16 pistons, your motor will be all oem the exact way honda would have done it. Honda builds good stuff?
If you deck the block your just butchering your block for no reason at all. D16 pistons are the same.bore and way better options for compression and you sav on decking the block. And your buying new d17 pistons. There is absolutly no eason at all not to, its alot more work for not a better out come. Your block will be shorts. Dude you want a tall block. Puston stability and other reasons. The timing is set up around 211 mm block. So you need an adjustabk cam gear jow. Also you need to check tue water pump as it may be closer then 3 mill from the surface.

If you but a used d16 any of them. You have 100% all your parts right there to do wuat you want. And its oike 100$ use the d17 head and d17 block. But d16 crank rods and pistons. It only makes sence and since honda paired them together. Its not me talking out my ass im just speaking for honda and engine builders alike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So basically you're talking about reliability? And are pms pistons from a 1.7l I don't even know what car they are out of? It would make sense with the longer crankshaft stroke they'd reduce the piston comp height, so it'd basically have as much travel as a d16. I understand piston stability I just didn't think of that.
Thing is even though I didn't want to spend much money I wanted to build an engine that would run a little different from a d16 or d17 and not just from head work. That's why I was willing to deck the block in the first place, I could honestly give a rats ass about my d17 parts lol, if the block or head gets screwed then I'll replace it with a d16 or d15 part. Do you really think that pistons with a shorter comp height will kill the engine? Didn't some d15s run with the same amount of travel? If I'm building something super unstable I'll listen and go all d16, but if it will be ok what do I have to lose?

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
What kind of car do you have?

That may help people understand what you are trying to do.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Not 100% sure what your actual goal or premise behind this build is.

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
You guys don't realize you are talking to a child in high school. He wants to waste $500. So let him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You guys don't realize you are talking to a child in high school. He wants to waste $500. So let him.
Seriously man? That's just uncalled for.
Just to prove you differently, yes I am in high school, a senior, so I'm about to graduate. I've officially had experience in a shop for 2 years and I am one of the top ranked mechanics in my state by SkillsUSA. In September I'm attending Universal Technical Institute which is paid for by Mercedes-Benz, after UTI I will complete the Mercedes Advanced Elite course. The money I have to work on this engine is hard earned and plenty to take on a project such as this which I will use to further my knowledge. The questions I am asking are things I'm unsure of and I appreciate the input of other people who have experience with building honda engines.

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
Whoa chill man. I've taken everything you told me into consideration. What pistons do you want me to use? Ones with a 30mm comp height? You didn't say anything earlier about pms pistons, I chose them for their dome and not the dish like the d17 pistons I was originally going to stick with. What should I get, d16a1 pistons? I looked for those too and I got mad when I have to look at an entirely different place for integra parts.
What is so wrong about decking the block anyway unless I screw up the bottom end? When I first saw the opportunity to make this engine I saw it would be destroked like crazy, shorter crank, short comp height pistons, decked block. That all just means less travel in the cylinder. That intrigues me, I'd like to see it run, but yeah if it's a really bad idea I appreciate you having my back, but why is it bad?
I'm not worried about ecu right now, I'm excluding it from my budget. Also I'm doing everything, only reason I'd take it to the shop is to deck the block or head and a valve job.
Lol WTF? :3dtard:

The tiny font...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol WTF?

The tiny font...
What...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so... why exactly are you trying to waste any time at all on the garbage d17? literally the worst D series head
I know I know, but I have one. Since it's not really good it's perfect for me to practice port and polishing and for the block it's not much different from a d16, but just because of its name I'm not afraid to deck it or do anything I want with it.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts