Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
i shoot stuff
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so me and all my muscle broke off a head stud with about a plyers width sticking out of the block. how hard is it going to be so back the stud out, considering the motor is at least 10 years old

·
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater
Ranger - work truck
5,467 Posts
meh, no biggie.... tighten the ones around it, and i bet it wont even leak

i have seen people run dual gaskets to compensate missing studs.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
An easy way to get them out, if there is enough thread (considering it broke),
is to screw two nuts on there, tighten them against each other, and just screw the whole thing out.

Same method to get the new one in. A piece of cake really.

·
Registered
721 Posts
dude, if there is enough room to get the classic vice grips on it, just do that, make sure you spray some deep creep on it first and let it sit for a bit, dry off the stud, and then clamp those fuckers on there, you'll have more than enough leverage to get that fucker out, they come out easy. Just make sure they are a good pair of vice grips and yer all set!

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
I had one break, then the ez-out broke and I had to grind it out... That sucked...
Here's what I would do.
1) get a MAPP gas torch and heat the stud until it's red hot.
2) vice grip while still relatively hot.

good luck!

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
I've had a couple of tough bolts to get out... The method that has always worked best was heat as it helps free the rust...
There's also the new CRC freeze off... that looks pretty effective.
Whetever you use, good luck...

·
Registered
My Crix
1,169 Posts
heating could case warping of the head if you are not careful, plus metal expands when heated, therefore making the bolt larger in the same size hole, uhh that means its in there tighter. Just use vice grips and sum penetrating lube or a drill and a easy out. Simple.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts