Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes, another Honda.

This one is more cheaty and has way more blow-uppity potential than my other budget racer, the Tape-R - http://www.d-series.org/forums/races-shows-events/197233-91-civic-si-lemons-racer.html

1987 Civic Si

Salvage yard rescue, so no title (won't be driving this one on the street)

Lots of fancy parts, previous owner states it has the parts to be a 14-15:1 compression engine and 10,000RPM capable!
-D16A1
-Engine still has the assembly lube on the aftermarket camshafts
-Nice shiny billet-looking piston tops can be seen through the spark plug holes
-Blue painted engine block for that XTRA fancy/cheaty look

All this glory was acquired for the low, low price of $100

DSO friends, meet "The Bucket"

For the trip home, my cohort thought leaving a message for potential tailgaters would help alleviate any future offenders:

I honestly don't know why this car was salvaged. Rust is minimal, there isn't any obvious body work previously performed, and the previous owner is the one who rescued it from the yard.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im am positive you can get a title for it... and I would!

It would suck to have someone come up later and say "hey that's my civic... look"
I do know the guy I bought this from and have known about the car for over a decade. I'm 100% confident of his transfer of ownership to me.

In Oklahoma, this car is not able to be titled due to its salvage history.

And an engine stand?!?!?!?!?
YUUPPPP!

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Rest of it is in the car. 4th pic.

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Did I miss where the reason for the car being in the yard in first place was given? Theft recovery or something?

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did I miss where the reason for the car being in the yard in first place was given? Theft recovery or something?
No, you didn't miss it. I, nor the previous owner, do not know why it was in the yard.

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
You are saying the previous owner misplaced a car then found it at a yard?? Or did he sell it, next owner did something stupid, then you bought it?

I'm missing something for certain. That car would get more like a G-note up here, even w/o title. I have only seen 3 pre-88 Civic/CRX's up here that weren't rotted out (excluding show cars).

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
Bad ass purchase for sure,my guess as to why it was sent to salvage would be the original owner blew the mm ltor, didn't feel like messing with it and brought it to the junker .

I know it's different for every state, but iirc, when a junk yard purchases the title, it usually gets the salvage mark correct?

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You are saying the previous owner misplaced a car then found it at a yard?? Or did he sell it, next owner did something stupid, then you bought it?

I'm missing something for certain. That car would get more like a G-note up here, even w/o title. I have only seen 3 pre-88 Civic/CRX's up here that weren't rotted out (excluding show cars).
No, the PO bought the car from the yard, so the owner before him sold it to the yard for whatever reason. The PO had this car for over 12 years (2003 at the most recent) as I remember him talking about the engine build (yes, the same one pictured with the blue block).

Bad ass purchase for sure,my guess as to why it was sent to salvage would be the original owner blew the mm ltor, didn't feel like messing with it and brought it to the junker .

I know it's different for every state, but iirc, when a junk yard purchases the title, it usually gets the salvage mark correct?
In Oklahoma there are difference salvaged titles. Salvaged titled cars can still be road legal, they just have an orange title as opposed to a clean, green title. Red titles are for vehicles that have suffered damages beyond 60% of value and they cannot be road legal, regardless of repairs completed. It is possible to change a title from red to orange, though. A salvaged car basically ceases to exist, like the cars that were sold to the dealerships for the Cash for Clunkers event. They are never to be allowed on the roads again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts