Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, freaks. I've said my mea culpas, and I can't help but acknowledge my intrinsic hillbilly idiot genetics. Save me from myself:

I recently rehabbed--or at least I THOUGHT I rehabbed--the A/C system in an '88 Civic DX. I removed the compressor and changed the oil, I pulled the under-dash coil and changed the expansion valve, I sprayed everything out, including the condensor coil, and I replaced the receiver-dryer. My first attempt at a vacuum and recharge was met with a dead feed to the compressor.

The hillbilly gene was, of course, undaunted by this, and I ran a new 15a electrical feed to the compressor. It came right on. Thinking I'd conquered the whole mess, I vacuumed the system for, oh, twenty minutes or so, and then I hooked up the refrigerant and tapped the can.

The gauge read about 90 lbs., and there was nothing like cold air in the cabin, so I came to realize that somehow, somewhere there was a total obstruction, a closed valve, an incomplete circuit, something. My first analysis was that it had something to do with this pressure switch that's in the low-pressure line, roughly below the battery. I surely bypassed this and disconnected it from it's circuit, which I assumed was completed by the stock connection to the compressor.

On the other hand, the switch is just a switch, not a shut-off valve, so removing it from the A/C chain of events wouldn't seem likely to create an obstruction. I didn't know enough to guess at the new expansion valve, whether it was possible that it could cause an obstruction. I did believe I had the thing appropriately installed, though. But, uh, maybe, uh...

My last thought was the receiver/dryer. Was it possible that I'd left a seal or something in one of the orifices?

Anyway, looks like I've blown it. But I'm pretty much lost here. Somebody tell me where the buffoonery is worst, and if I can fix what I've done. PLEASE, for the luvva Ds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really almost none. I bled a touch through the gauges, closed everything, then opened the valve to the low-pressure side, and it shot up immediately. It seemed to me that enough went in to fill the hose, and not much more.

Is it possible it's that simple? That it's not getting into the system at all? That the pressure reading I'm getting is basically the pressure in the can, and that's it? Maybe I'm somehow using the wrong adapter valve or something.

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
there are 2 reasons for 'vacuuming' the ac system, one is to evacuate all the air and water, and the other is to see if there is a leak. once you have a good vacuum (23 or more inches) let it sit for couple of hours at least and check your vacuum gauge to see if the vacuum has dropped any.
if it has, you have a leak and charging the system will be a waste of coolant.
it should take a while for your vacuum pump to achieve that much vacuum, more like 45 min to an hour.
here is a link to a buttload of AC servicing information:
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1665946

1 - 5 of 5 Posts