Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
It's hard to tell without a smog test sheet posted. If you only fail HC, it could be ignition timing just like what happened to me this week. "Smog guy" said to reset my timing back to spec 14/16/18 @ between 570-670 rpm. I had my timing set @ 16 at 950rpm and I failed HC. Once I brought the rpm down to 575rpm and set timing back to 16 the car passed.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Have a hard time believe this. You set timing at idle 750 +/- 100 rpm. Something else is going on or the car was hotter when you went back.

Don't think I made it up, I hate wasting my time for something so simple. He ask me to fix my rpm and timing in his parking lot, Less than 5mins worth of work.

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
Your car fails about like mine. One time it registered 600 HC...lol

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered an infrared thermometer to test my CAT like "Eric the Car Guy" demonstrates on YouTube. I also plan to buy a new PCV valve (I pinched the hose with pliers and it did not make a clicking noise like the Helm's manual states it should) Frustrated because my plates are expired and I need this car registered. :/

·
Registered
650 Posts
Oh yeah, I have been running 92 octane for months because someone told me it would make my car faster.... I now have read that isn't true... maybe that is causing my car to run to rich? Maybe that ate up the insides of my CATs?
You should only run higher octane if you've got a high comp or boosted motor, or if the engine is supposed to run it. My 89 accord actually calls for minimum 91 octane fuel...

The engine has to built/tuned to run it.

As far as your PCV, you can usually squirt a little brake cleaner or WD-40 in there too clean it out. Sometimes, though, they do just need to be replaced.

·
Registered
My civic
2,340 Posts
Here are the test results
Holy crap, you failed a two speed idle?!? Thats ugly.

And BTW your hella rich.

Your current AFR IS 14.03:1 with a Lambda reading of .9543

So basically your out of catalyst efficiency range. Meaning your CAT can not and will not work, until your lambda is within a range of .998 - 1.020 Solve that THEN worry about the catalyst, dont throw an expensive part on a car unable to use it.

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Most people can't just be good at something really quick. I have only been into this for 6 months.

I still consider my self new to this and I never went to school for it.

I don't want to cheat my ignition test but I actually learned a lot of good info from this Import Tuner Article about How To Cheat An Emissions Test - Import Tuner Magazine

I also thought this Scotty Kilmer Video was helpful

·
Registered
145 Posts
What motor setup are you running and do you have all vaccum lines routed properly? When I had my vx motor my vacuum lines gave all sorts of problems when they were not running to the right places. I am also able to pump lower octane and learned to drive my car hard and for a good amount of time so that it reaches normal operating temperature and leave it running until the smog tech pulls it into the bay.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts