Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 CRX hf
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well as the title says my tranny leaks, spewing oil from the passenger axle =(

Terrible thing is I'm 2k miles away from the majority of my tools, and the tranny shop i go to.

Anyone in Minnesota that does trannies? Or can recommend a place to get the work done without it costing a ton of cash?

I'm thinking about doing it myself but iono how comfortable I am with the idea of splitting my tranny... :pinch:

Also, anyone know any tricks for holding off the leak a while? like maybe putting a glob of grease on the seal?

And is there a seal that actually goes on the axle and interfaces with the one on the tranny? I didn't think so but I wanna make sure there isn't and I didn't lose it.

Thanks.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,297 Posts
Why do you feel the need to split the tranny?

If seal is leaking, replace the seal.

If tranny is leaking, find a replacement as your's is cracked.

·
Registered
90 CRX hf
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wait, u mean to say I can replace the seal that holds the oil in without splitting the tranny?

You know u can be confusing Mr.bone...

I was looking at my old tranny and it appeared that the seal was on the inside of the tranny, so I'd have to split the tranny to get at it.

Either way, tranny is spitting oil out of where the passenger axle goes into the diff pretty rapidly and then the axle is throwing it all over the place, have a good coating on my crossmember now. It isn't leaking otherwise tho.

·
Registered
90 CRX hf
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Damnit Mista Bone, thats not funny... torturing me like this...

You should change ur SN to Sphynx since you like to do riddles.

Cant we just skip forward to the part where you save the day and I thank you and tell you you've saved my life and all of that?

Ok I see a dirty half of a split tranny case on top with what appears to be an old seal.

On the bottom I see a shiny half of a tranny case with what appears to be a newer seal, set loosely on to the other half of the tranny case.

Now because I see a split tranny case I assume that you are trying to show me that its easy to split the tranny and replace the seal.

Either that or ur trying to show me that the seal is on the outside, but I thought I remembered looking at an old case from the inside and seeing that the seal had a sort of metal backing that appeared to be too large to come out of the hole where the axle goes in and interfaces with the diff, so it would press in from the inside and the rubber part would stick through the hole... Right?

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
Pull axle out, use flat head screwdriver to pop old seal out, grab new seal, press it in. I did this 3 times in one day in under 30 minutes. Did JosA's car too. Possibly one of the easiest transmission problems i have ever fixed.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,297 Posts
Seal is outside, pry out with screwdriver, tap in new one. Find something round about the size of the seal to drive it in.

I use an old outer bearing race for this.

If you have read that the interlock guide bolt is LAST item insalled during a rebuild, the step before that is the three outer seals, two axle seals and the shift shaft seal.

Now due to clearance I'm not sure if you can easily drive in a new seal on the passenger side. You may has to undo the tranny mounts and front mounts to lower the engine and tranny. Drivers side seal is easy, never tried a passenger side seal.

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
Seal is outside, pry out with screwdriver, tap in new one. Find something round about the size of the seal to drive it in.

I use an old outer bearing race for this.

If you have read that the interlock guide bolt is LAST item insalled during a rebuild, the step before that is the three outer seals, two axle seals and the shift shaft seal.

Now due to clearance I'm not sure if you can easily drive in a new seal on the passenger side. You may has to undo the tranny mounts and front mounts to lower the engine and tranny. Drivers side seal is easy, never tried a passenger side seal.
Mine was the passenger side seal and i must say sir Bone, it was easy as hell.

·
Registered
90 CRX hf
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright awesome! well thats news to me! makes my life sooo much easier. I swear with this CRX ive had the worst luck, Murphy is on the attack.

Thanks guys!!!!

·
Registered
99 integra ls-DD
384 Posts
hope u get it fixed! if not i live in iowa, i got a spare dx tranny i can sell ya, its kinda on your way home(assume u driving from MN to CA), let me know if u need help, pm me if u do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts