Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
trannys i have are 93 ex Z6, 91 hf, 88 dx civic, and a 91 4 speed std civic. what parts from which trannies do i use to put together a tranny that i can run at the track but also get the gas mileage out of on trips. the main shaft of the 91 hf is shot. Also i drive an 89 4dr. with a d15b swap.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
maybe 1-2 from the DX then use 3-5 from the EX tranny....that would pick up where he DX lacks.. Or would think at least I could be way out in left field on that one.
just a guess and my $.02

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
I would have to say EX 1-4, Hf 5th in Z6 case.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay 4drmadness which case would you say to put it all in ?
also which main shaft would i use?
if i used the 1-2 out of the dx and 3-4 out of the ex and 5th out of the hf in the 88 case would that work?

·
Registered
941 Posts
i'm going to have to disagree with bone on this one.

if you're using a cable tranny, you can try this setup

use the 4speed mainshaft for the first and second gear
then use a z6 3rd and then use a 92-95 cx/vx 3rd as 4th

this will be a close ratio starting at roughly 65mph

yes, the zc 3rd is very ideal, but this setup would be optimal for higher powered cars (forced induction) when traction is an issue in 2nd gear.

plus, the longer 2nd takes you further into the z6 3rd.

longer z6 3rd (only longer than a zc 3rd) takes you further into 4th, and the 3-4 rpm drop is great :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay thank you that is great info im building it this week. i was looking at building a 5 speed though can i do that? and is this going to give me the gas mileage that i want for daily driving?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts