Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been reading a lot about these turbos and I can't make up my mind about either one. My tuner is telling me that the hy35 will spool later than the 57 trim. The hy I have is a 7 blade wheel with 4 inch vband exhaust. I'm looking to make about 350-400 hopefully. I would like the turbo to be somewhat responsive at a lower rpm. Reason I'm asking is because I can get a 57 for really cheap from someone but won't if the hy will be good.

Setup will be,
Ported z6 head
Zex/comp 59300 cam
Skunk 2 intake mani
Skunk 2 valve springs and retainers

Block
Eagle/cp 9:1

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ive ridden/driven the pump gas 400whp HY35, and fyi this is a high altitude car at 4800'. Its sooo much fun. The power comes on late, but when it comes on its savage. Check out his thread previously posted. He put a dyno sheet up. The best part is all the compressor wheel silencer is removed, so its nice and loud.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have the HY run it. Theres a guy that just made 400 on pump with a hy:http://www.d-series.org/forums/showcase/168014-4-dr-sleeper-build.html

My precision was big on my stock d15 but who cares? It fuckin moved when it spooled up and got good gas mileage when it didnt.
Just took a look at the thread. It gives me hope! Shits a beast haha
Ive ridden/driven the pump gas 400whp HY35, and fyi this is a high altitude car at 4800'. Its sooo much fun. The power comes on late, but when it comes on its savage. Check out his thread previously posted. He put a dyno sheet up. The best part is all the compressor wheel silencer is removed, so its nice and loud.
Thanks. I think I'll stick with the hy then. I think I might have the older model 4 inch vband outlet hy.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hp is just a number track time and trap speeds are cooler. i love holsets theyre cheap and readily available but as you said your useable powerband will be smaller.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
The holset doesnt make the type of power that a 57 trim can make. Not even close. Wider power band with the 57. More peak power. Quicker spool. Better better better better. Lighter. Smaller. Quicker. Quieter. More efficient. Better.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had a 57 trim on my car before the holset and I like the holset better. If you want low rpm response you need to look at other turbos. The holset pulls like a train and loves higher boost, mines at 21-22 right now. And with your build you can rev the motor higher 7500-8 and the hy will love that and you can still have a decent power band, I am only reving to 7200.

For the money its awesome, I mean yes I would love a GTX or some ball bearing but I don't want to spend that money right now. And yea the spool sound of the holset is AMAZING

·
Registered
821 Posts
I would say leave the holset in the wrecking yard ...so I can salvage it!

I've had a garret 57 trim and an hx35 on my street driven car , it will be too fast for the street with either... if the 57 trim is an actual garret use that.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
If you look at the compressor maps, the 57 trim flows more air everywhere that a gasoline 1.6L can take it.

Trust me... track results and trial and error over butt dyno and self gratification and re-assurance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the turbo I can get is the turbonetics t3/to4 57 trim for the price of $280. I bought this Holset years ago for the build when everyone was using them. I started get back into it recently with the build and all, my tuner/builder/friend is saying that the powerband will be kind of late with the hy and recommended a 57 of some sort. I'm not really good at reading or understanding compressor maps. A lot of people are actually telling me to get a 57, one of my buddies is running the hx35 and he actually loves it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts