Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone! Been stalking the site for months reading up on these cars and I finally made an account today! I'm buying a new car here soon and I looked up the 7th Gen Civic coupe 5 speed as my choice since my dad is helping me buy my first car which will be my daily and I will also take to the strip and the circuit to get a full grasp of how to get into Time Attack racing in the FWD class.

[Now before everyone of you say I should choose a 6th or 5th Gen for the Double Wishbone suspension and K Series this or B series that, trust me, I've looked, but my dad wasn't too thrilled about how clapped most of them look around my area for less than 2K and preferred me to get something that was much cleaner cosmetically. Plus, these Gen are usually seen as throwaway Civics so maybe I can also start learning how to properly tune an ECU with all the A/F ratio and how to tune lean and rich and read the times tables and all that jazz.] So I decided to come up with the next best thing since even tho not the greatest Civic out there, it'd at least be a good start to learning proper maintenance whilst my first introduction to the tuning world! And what a better way to start than the highly hated D17 build as my first true build before I can move on to bigger projects later but for now I don't mind putting down some coin for a D17 build because I am not K swapping anything as it'll also be the daily for a while as well..

My question here today is, I wanted to know how a HX35 or HX40 Holset turbo would do on a built, sleeved and forged rod/piston block, with possibly a stage 3 Camshaft regrind from Crower and a ported and polished head along with valves and springs and all the works since I've read that they don't supply none anymore.. Also, what would I need to be able to get into the 500whp+ range? If that means pushing over 35/40+psi like the DSM guys do then so be-it, may not be the fastest thing but it'll be a great first taste until I get a better platform a couple years from now! Also, is it true that the D15B heads are the same as the D17A2? I am gathering as much info I can now so when I start adding upgrades I can at least know how far I can take this goal and possibly break through maybe if no one else has done it before regardless of how pointless it seems. Can't wait to hear some feedback and then start from there! Good day to you gentlemen!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,775 Posts
so...you don't want a k but you want to spend the money for a k tuning software lol. d17s use kpro to tune them lol. also, first car and you want to daily it, I wouldn't worry about building it. sit on your money until you can afford spare parts to start building whilst keeping your current ride working.

you need to spend more time reading. the d17 head is a bastard of the d family. the passages wont line up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
so...you don't want a k but you want to spend the money for a k tuning software lol. d17s use kpro to tune them lol. also, first car and you want to daily it, I wouldn't worry about building it. sit on your money until you can afford spare parts to start building whilst keeping your current ride working.

you need to spend more time reading. the d17 head is a bastard of the d family. the passages wont line up.
Oh naw, I wouldn't swap the head because that won't make sense, BUT, only to see if the D15B actually has parts that can be used on here encase it has some aftermarket support than can be translated over to this platform like Cams and whatnot just incase!

Also yes, because I'm stubborn ;) lol and I also am not going K because I'm just really not a K series person, my favorite series and or family is the H/F series big blocks even though they only have one lob of VTEC instead of two like the I-VTEC engines and can't take as much stock like the K.. Not only that but I'm also more of a Mitsubishi guy as I'm used to Mirage Coupes, 3G Eclipse & 3000GT V6's, and 4G63 powered cars but I am not getting one of those because my dad prefers to get me a Honda as a start, so I couldn't complain with that lol

With more experience under the hood with at least some mechanical experience, and some ECU tuning know how from actually knowing the basics of how to do so on my own, I'll probably just upgrade to a 3G Eclipse V6 as you can do a lot with those from what I've seen.. Just right now I gotta start somewhere and do something until I can get over there as I'm more understanding of how those work as I'm not used to Honda's haha

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would love to see this happen!
should be able to use a hx35 to get the power ...
That is also what I'm thinking especially getting the Twin Scroll T4 ones and possibly getting a custom Intake Manifold to support it, should make boost much lower and make power slightly easier than all these Single scroll Garrett and Preceision PTE counterparts!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts