Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for the tranny gods out there... I've done the Y5 to Y8 head swap, and before I put in the ECU (from a 99 EX auto- and yes I have the wiring harness) and dizzy.. anyone know if its going to work with my HX's CVT tranny? Is there a way to make it work, or do I have to get a 99 EX auto tranny to make it work? This is getting finished sometime in the next couple months and I'd like to know one way or the other beforehand.. (2 of brothers-in-law are mechanics, and can try to make it work, but I want to know if its possible first).. Also I noticed that HX auto DOESN'T have an IACV on the back of IM like the manual and the EX auto/manual.. will that also be a problem?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That much i figured... I just want to know if its possible. From what I read in helms about it, it appears that a lot of different systems work with or based on input from the CVT... so I'm asking what I'd need to make it work, or if it would be cheaper to just get all the parts that are different from the EX

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,312 Posts
cheaper to sell the car than try to re-engineer the car.

Honda dealerships are not even allowed to open the CVT's, just swap them out. The damaged CVT's are sent to the Anna or MArysville OH tranny plant to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
transzex said:
cheaper to sell the car than try to re-engineer the car.

Honda dealerships are not even allowed to open the CVT's, just swap them out. The damaged CVT's are sent to the Anna or MArysville OH tranny plant to be rebuilt.
I suppose I'm not really asking the question right.. I want to know if anyone has ANY IDEA what will happen when I try this? I already know about the complexities of the CVT and that it would be easier/cheaper to just get a new car, is there any other pertinent info? Or is this all uncharted territory? Can I get the CVT to work with the P2P ECU? What problems can I expect to run into?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,312 Posts
CVT has it's own ECU...........and TCU........

sell the car or return it to stock.........this info is coming from techs at Honda R&D in Ohio..........

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess we'll find out in April... if there is a way WE WILL FIND IT, if not, well at least we'll know why it doesn't work instead of people just saying it won't work. Best case, we have EX with CVT, worst case, we have to put everything back the way it was.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jimmyb34 said:
im sure if anyone heere knows its this guy
im guessing from what he says youll be wasting you time
maybe... but no one says WHY it won't work, just that it won't... I'm sorry transzex, but I just can't accept that there's no way to make it work without trying it first. I was just hoping you help me out with the why so we'd know what we have to work around. know what I mean?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts