Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
there is a party in my pants and Lindsay Lohan is
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I've heard people say "stay away from the automatic (cvt) HX models" cause the engine/trans mounts are completely different and you will have to basically do some major surgery if you ever want to swap a manual trans and/or b-series swap in there. Is this true?

The reason I'm asking is cause I know a kid that wants to sell me his near mint HX that was originally an auto but it was converted to manual before he got the car. He lives over an hour away from me tho so its not like I can just cruise over and take a look at it whenever. He says its a clean job but I don't think he knows that much about cars. Just trying to figure out if I should expect to find a butcher job when I get there

·
Registered
98 HX
211 Posts
I'm running the CVT myself, and I must say that I have yet to run into any problems with the car running. I've done alot of research on the CVT because I was also told by many people that they suck etc. Funny thing is that, after I did all sorts of research it turns out that it's on of the stronger tranny's that Honda has produced.

Also, don't know about how hard it would be to swap a B series engine in there, as the HX is the lightest coupe model I believe. I've seen alot of people with a B series engine in the HX. Granted you don't normally see alot of HX's to begin with.

·
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't had a whole lot of experience with the cvts, only driven a few but they just seemed sluggish to me- like the clutch was always slipping or something. I kinda like the concept tho, I think a traditional 5 or 6-spd manual with a cvt final drive would be sweet. Or a 3 or 4 spd manual and somehow have individual cvt gears with the cvt final.

The problem isn't swapping into any HX, like I said I've heard that the frame side mounts and even the frame rails are completely different in the cvt HX's as opposed to manual trans versions which are just like regular civics. This car I'm looking at was originally an auto so that's why I'm wondering if I should even bother considering it.

·
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE- well my buddy ended up picking up the car in question, and the pass front framerail is indeed different. HX cvt only. Where all the 'normal' EK pass upper trans mount bolts into the side of the framerail, the cvt HX mount has the mount holes up top of the rail instead. So it looks like there wil be some fabbing involved, either building a custom mount or to the framerail itself

1 - 5 of 5 Posts